test environments not visible in MTM RRS feed

• Question

• When I configured my Test Controller I found three machines: XP, Vista and Win7.  I made two environments, "XP" and "PCRTest19C (Vista) and PCRTest32C (Win7) only", both of which assigned Client PC as roles to the boxes.  I had thought I would only need to point my test plan at these environments and Run, and my automated tests would commence...however, when I attempt to Run I get this: "The environment does not contain the set of roles in your test settings. To run your tests, you can select Run with Options to use a different environment or test settings. Or you can go to the Properties activity for your test plan and change the environment or the roles in your test settings."

It turns out that there is no environment selected and worse, none visible in MTM at all anywhere, except in the LabCenter section under Controllers.  Of course, these can't be linked to the test plan from there, so it's worthless to me.

A,m I doing something wrong, or is the software?  I can't tell.

• Moved by Amanda Zhu Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:58 AM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:48 PM

All replies

• Hello Lane,

We have a forum Testing with Visual Studio Test Manager(MTM) for this issue. In order to provide better support, I will move this thread.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:57 AM
  • Hi Lane,

Use MTM run automated test, you need set up test environment, test setting in MTM Lab center. Associate test case with test method in VS, associate test plan with correct team build, test setting. 

You need set up lab to hold test environment and test settings. This test environment is need to run automated test in MTM. For detail information, you can refer to Using a Virtual Lab for Your Application Lifecycle.

After create test environment and test setting, open test plan properties, select test settings and test environment for the test plan like following screenshot.

If anything is unclear, please free feel to let me know.

Regards,

Lily Wu
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:36 AM
  • It's clear as a bell, but it doesn't work. 

This is the reason I asked.

Let me be more precise:  the environments I created are not visible in the Test Environment dropdown in the Test Settings/ Test Environments area so helpfully highlighted above.

They (the environments and the machines that make them up) are not visible anywhere (including the "Manage" in the highlighted area) except the Controllers area of the Lab Center.

Is this because my machines are real and not virtual?

• Edited by Lane Copley Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:23 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:01 PM
  • Hi Lane,

Hope you can help collection following to narrow down the issue.
    1. What's the version of your MTM, TFS?
    2. The detail steps you do to create test environment, and test settings.
    3. Do other team member experience the same issue in their machine?

Regards,

Lily Wu

Friday, January 18, 2013 8:24 AM
  • 1. MTM and TFS are both 2010, as are the Test Controller and Test Agents.

2. ??  Given that there is only one way to create said environments, I am not sure I understand your question.  What exactly are you asking me?

3. This problem is mine alone, since I am the first in my group to try to set up automated testing using %100 MS MTM and TFS from beginning to end.

• Edited by Lane Copley Friday, January 18, 2013 6:52 PM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 6:02 PM
  • Hi Lane,

Use MTM 2010 to create test environment, you can create physical environment, and virtual environment.

If you are creating physical environment, follow the steps in this topic: Creating a Physical Environment to Use for Testing.

If you are using Visual Studio Lab Management, you can create a virtual environment. To create a virtual environment, follow the steps in this topic: How to: Create an Environment from Virtual Machines or Templates. If you want more information about how to create virtual environments, see Virtual Environments Concepts and Guidelines.

Please go through steps in above article first, is there any different from your steps? Or, do you miss any thing?

If anything is unclear, please free feel to let me know.

Best Regards,

Lily Wu

Monday, January 21, 2013 6:15 AM
  • I did that exactly.  My physical environments promptly disappeared.

I will open a paid trouble ticket for this issue.  If I get no traction I will just abandon MS and use another (my already built) system for this.

Consider this thread closed.

EXCITING UPDATE:

Can't set up a support contact, since the "Other" option listed below DOESN'T EXIST.

Thanks a lot.

Product and Problem

All input required.
    Select a support topic
    Help Chat Chat for help with this page.
    Please select a support topic that describes the problem. If your support topic is not listed, select Other to proceed.
    Support topic: To route your request to the appropriate support engineer, choose a support topic. If your support topic is not listed, select Other, and then click Continue to proceed.

• Edited by Lane Copley Monday, January 21, 2013 10:47 PM
    Monday, January 21, 2013 5:44 PM
  • Hi Lane,

I am trying to involve someone to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Lily Wu

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:54 AM
  • Out of patience; I opened a paid support ticket. I am also out of time.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:09 PM