obscure RUBY- what i do not like about cloud computing RRS feed

• General discussion

• obscure ruby

here something connected to RUBY.

actually there is information on the web template, but it is not real life.
    I mean, the real world thing is different from the way it is displayed via the template,
    for instance, there is no "14 day trial" at all, it never existed.
    it is alienating, but seems to be a new way to put restrictions on people.

think of these obscure YOUTUBE download software's.

they are not really worth it, if thanks to Bill Gates, you can get any YOUTUBE video from the browser cache.

it is sad that in terms of wikipedia and cloud computing, most likely there will be no "browser cache", "right mouse button save-as", or even a source code view.

i would congrulate if RUBY would be different- but take a look at one of their main web spaces, and find obscure cloud illustration, not say, it looks trippy, outlandish and forced. and yes, it goes via GPL.

what i really don't like is when people have to experience the introduction of new restrictions.

i mean, there is software for MINI-DISC player, "check out" files, but can't even "check in" my own recordings. and it goes, 300MB. the result, i do not use the technology.

and there is mobile phone software, also 300MB, to access the files in some obscure ways, what you get is photo's in low resolution. i do not use it to take photo's.

digital camera, SD card, SD card / USB adapter, WINDOWS FAT filesystem.

so i can retain ownership at least over my own files, photo's etc.

the webpages on the net based on HTML are good, contain a lot of knowledge, and can often be saved easily. however, new content using special technology sometimes can not be saved for offline usage.

if the provider stops to exist, your data goes as well.

i would appreciate if Microsoft adds features so people can save data for offline usage, and for archieving, and to port to other service providers.
    like they have already done with offering ZIP downloads on skydrive.

and leave the browser cache system like it is, allow people to access youtube video's etc.

I have experienced teacher's fetish to restrict their pupils (in school), so they would game it a lot if they can, and for this reason, yet I'd say, RUBY is no good in that matter.
    Yes i know it comes from Japan, and would appreciate if they'd come up with something really innovative, and not all this LINUX/WIKI/GPL/OPENSOURCE, which is a little popular in Japan, for reasons that are not entirely known.

yet, they also know to have web services, which are far more restrictive than our's, such as NICO video (you must log in just to view a video), and MIXI (you need invite to discuss about dogs and pop music).

what i really don't like is the fake sign up screen, which initially suggests you could become member just by completing registration.

putting things together (above screenshot), is there some hidden irony?

finally i think Microsoft is doing a good job in terms of cloud computing (for instance, skydrive, live groups), but some providers invent obscure, restrictive systems, it should be pointed out, and people stop using the services altogether (for instance, wikipedia).

why i write the post, there might be a pattern, which you see after a number of years interacting with the web services.

do you think, for real, a RUBY based terminal browser would offer to access video files via the browser cache, and display them via a standard filesystem? or they would even think of such a functionality.
    I'd rather say, even the thought of that would be horribly absurd to them.
    I mean, even if i like the RUBY, it would introduce a lot of fresh restriction, just to have a large number of small restrictions, and in return, this would also feel horribly absurd to me.

like they say, GPL "take away freedom from people". if they won't, they wouldn't write about it, because initially, the idea as such is horribly absurd.
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 8:48 PM