The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Virtual Machines!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
Cannot RDP into the VM RRS feed

• Question

• Created a VM and did confirm that the endpoint for remote desktop is setup correctly. But I cannot login into this VM using RDP. Getting 'remote access to the server is not enabled' error. Deployment ID: 87881b62f45e48b98e3ff7322db0439e.

Any ideas?

Friday, July 19, 2013 2:49 PM

Answers

• Was this a VHD you uploaded or one from the gallery? 

If it was one you uploaded, a common mistake is not enabling remote desktop and opening the firewall rules for RDP before uploading the VHD.  

I have also had this issue when I am trying to upload a client OS (win 7, win 8) that I have sysprep'd.  Sysprep will reset the remote desktop and firewall rules.  One way to get around this is to set rules for these in group policy before syspreping or by joining them to a domain contoller with the GP rules already set. 

If this was a server from the gallery, try resizing the VM from the configuration tab. 

Monday, July 22, 2013 3:51 AM