none
"Windows Azure Shared Caching" or "Windows Azure Caching (Preview)"?

Question

• Hello All,

I have an application hosted on Windows Azure and that uses the  "Windows Azure Shared Caching"

All was working fine till some days before, now we have started getting various errors.

While going through the internet, I came across the "Windows Azure Caching (Preview)" Version, which seems to be new in compared to Shared Caching.

I would like to give thought to shifting to use the "Windows Azure Caching (Preview)" Version, So I have many question related to which version i should "Co-located" or "Dedicated", Or sticking to "Windows Azure Shared Caching" is better.

for more information, My application stores data like country, states list, and some of the master lists, data for many graphs and charts and some statistics which i refresh daily, some hourly basis. At present the data stored in the cache will not be too large unless my application gets too famous.

I want to compare the 3 ways to use caching in terms of minimum impact on my development efforts, the cost and the performance.

Please guide me in this direction. If I should stick to "Windows Azure Shared Caching" then only I would go into detail of the exception now I get while caching. At present I am getting exception as below.

ErrorCode<ERRCA0017>:SubStatus<ES0006>:There is a temporary failure. Please retry later.

Thanks

Meenxip

• Edited by meenxi Monday, July 01, 2013 10:27 AM
    Monday, July 01, 2013 9:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

>>if I change from Windows Azure Shared Caching to Windows Azure Caching (Preview), what effects I should expect,  Any issues If any I have face?

According to MSDN document ( What is new with Windows Azure Caching section),Windows Azure Caching introduces a new ability to host Caching within your Windows Azure roles, the main difference is role-based Caching is private to your hosted service, role-based Caching does not have the quotas that a shared service must have; Caching on Windows Azure roles supports additional features, such as high availability, regions, notifications, and multiple named caches; Windows Azure Caching should also have improve the performance over Shared Caching.

Best Regards.

Haixia
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by meenxi Thursday, July 04, 2013 6:40 AM
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 9:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to suggest you take a look at a blog at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/avkashchauhan/archive/2012/06/18/difference-between-windows-azure-cache-preview-and-windows-azure-share-cache.aspx which elaborate the differences between Windows Azure Cache( both Dedicated and Co-located)Preview and Windows Azure Shared Cache.

Best Regards.

Haixia
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 6:53 AM
  • Hello Haixia

Thanks for reply, I had check the link earlier,

I am more interested in knowing that if I change from Windows Azure Shared Caching to Windows Azure Caching (Preview), what effects I should expect,  Any issues If any I have face?

and looking at my caching requirements, is Windows Azure Caching (Preview) is better option...  

Thanks...

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 7:04 AM
  • Hi,

>>if I change from Windows Azure Shared Caching to Windows Azure Caching (Preview), what effects I should expect,  Any issues If any I have face?

According to MSDN document ( What is new with Windows Azure Caching section),Windows Azure Caching introduces a new ability to host Caching within your Windows Azure roles, the main difference is role-based Caching is private to your hosted service, role-based Caching does not have the quotas that a shared service must have; Caching on Windows Azure roles supports additional features, such as high availability, regions, notifications, and multiple named caches; Windows Azure Caching should also have improve the performance over Shared Caching.

Best Regards.

Haixia

• Marked as answer by meenxi Thursday, July 04, 2013 6:40 AM
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 9:41 AM