none
Can anyone tell me if this project is right or wrong? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have been assigned to a project for construction work. I am bit a newbie in using ms project through gantt chart. so i want to know if i have prepared it correctly of not, is there any overallocation, dependencies or anything else. I am not master in this so like to have comment from you guys. thx

Waiting for comments. Thanks in advance.

Saturday, October 22, 2011 3:08 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Not knowing exactly how you want to or can do the project I can only sugest some formal improvements; I sent you a fe file showing these.

Here are the potential improvement points I focused on:

1. You systematically assign resources to summary tasks which is not good practice. I transferred these assignments to the tasks within the summary task

2. I changed all tasks into automatically scheduled such that Project can suggest dates rathe rthan you having to calculate everything by hand then introduce it

An inconsistency I noticed but did not correct is that you have recorded actual work oon task 18 while its predecessor (task 17) is not yet finished; I cannot guess what is erroneous here, the actual work on 18 or the dependency 17-18

And yes, after that there are many many overallocations so I asked Project to solve them using Resource Leveling. The result is in a second file I sent you.

Of course this may not be exactly how you want to do your project but I hope inspires you to further improve.

Greetings,

Sunday, October 23, 2011 9:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Th major comment is that apparently you have only used manually scheduled tasks, thus "killing" Project's scheduling engine. Then of course when you enter dependencies the risk is that, as is shown here, they point backward and are not "honoured". First le's try to solve this, change your tasksinto Automatically scheduled then we can betetr comment on how this schedule is supposed to work.

Greetings,

Saturday, October 22, 2011 9:39 AM
  • will you try it, i will provide you data?

i am very confused, i have also tried by auto scheduling. but not happening. 

M.K.O
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 10:19 AM
  • please sir, help me with this, i would be thankful to you.

regards.

M.K.O
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 12:10 PM
  • insert the Task Mode field and change that field to automatic for all your tasks.
    Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 5:11 PM
  • i know sir, i have did it. but what about overallocation and dependencies occurring after that. there is so much time lag and slack which i am not able to solve. 

i can send you file if you allow me to check. thx  

M.K.O
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 5:23 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, it's the weekend here and I'm married to my wife not to my computer :-))

You know what send me the file to jandemesATprom-ade.be (replace the AT by @, e-mail addresses aere automatically removed from posts); I'll try to understand more closely what you're up to and send an improved version.

Greetings,

Saturday, October 22, 2011 8:20 PM
  • thanks. i am mailing you.

you will receive it from; meraman.odedra81atyahoo.com

M.K.O
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 8:57 PM
  • Hello,

Not knowing exactly how you want to or can do the project I can only sugest some formal improvements; I sent you a fe file showing these.

Here are the potential improvement points I focused on:

1. You systematically assign resources to summary tasks which is not good practice. I transferred these assignments to the tasks within the summary task

2. I changed all tasks into automatically scheduled such that Project can suggest dates rathe rthan you having to calculate everything by hand then introduce it

An inconsistency I noticed but did not correct is that you have recorded actual work oon task 18 while its predecessor (task 17) is not yet finished; I cannot guess what is erroneous here, the actual work on 18 or the dependency 17-18

And yes, after that there are many many overallocations so I asked Project to solve them using Resource Leveling. The result is in a second file I sent you.

Of course this may not be exactly how you want to do your project but I hope inspires you to further improve.

Greetings,

Sunday, October 23, 2011 9:40 AM