npm upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• User-325680088 posted

Hi,

does anyone know the easiest way to upgrade npm as its causing me no end of problems with windows file paths on node, this has been fixed already in npm 3+ by flat filing the recursive includes in node but i cannot seem to find any easy methods of updating npm in visual studio to use it.

Notes: i am windows, using visual studio 2015

Monday, March 14, 2016 1:19 PM

Answers

• User281315223 posted

Have you tried using the Package Manager Console (Tools > NuGet Package Manager > Package Manager Console) and then running the following command :

npm install npm@latest

or : 

npm install -g npm

They have a few blog posts and articles on handling this in different ways :

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, March 14, 2016 7:54 PM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi,

npm : The term 'npm' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again."

According to the error message above, it seems that this issue more related to the path, make sure that you use correct path.

Here is more detailed steps to upgrad npm on windows, and check whether it helps. see: https://github.com/felixrieseberg/npm-windows-upgrade 

More hints: How do I update npm on Windows? 

have a good day.

Regards,

Angie

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 5:30 AM

All replies

• User281315223 posted

Have you tried using the Package Manager Console (Tools > NuGet Package Manager > Package Manager Console) and then running the following command :

npm install npm@latest

or : 

npm install -g npm

They have a few blog posts and articles on handling this in different ways :

Monday, March 14, 2016 7:54 PM
  • User-325680088 posted

hi,

i cannot seem to run npm commands in that window, as its only for nuget is there another window i can use to use npm commands in visual studio?

i get everytime i try in the package manager:-

"npm : The term 'npm' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again."

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 1:03 PM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi,

npm : The term 'npm' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again."

According to the error message above, it seems that this issue more related to the path, make sure that you use correct path.

Here is more detailed steps to upgrad npm on windows, and check whether it helps. see: https://github.com/felixrieseberg/npm-windows-upgrade 

More hints: How do I update npm on Windows? 

have a good day.

Regards,

Angie

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 5:30 AM