Published version already exists RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using click once to deploy an application to a server on our internal network for well over a year now.    I deploy to a UNC path on our network.

Lately,  I have been frustrated trying to deploy the app because I'm getting an error "Published version x.x.x.x already exists on the server.  Do you want to overwrite it?".     However, the version that I am trying to publish does not coincide with the error message.   For example, the last version I deployed was 1.1.7.7.   I am now trying to deploy 1.1.7.8 (I'm using "automatically increment. revision with each publish").  The message says that 1.1.7.7 already exists.   No kidding.

I'v tried using different new publish version numbers, like 1.1.8.0, etc, but still get the same message.   This is a problem that seems to happen fairly randomly.  Some days I have no trouble publishing, other times I can keep trying and eventually publish it.  Other days (like today, so far) no luck at all.   I've tried  deploying from different locations (I normally deploy over VPN), tried rebooting, checking source in and out, etc.  Up to now, I have been able to get it to eventually publish, but haven't figured out what sequence of events lead to success. 

(Full disclosure:  I am using an expired certificate, but set my system clock back so thet the app builds successfully)

Thursday, August 9, 2007 1:38 PM

Answers

• I was able to get it to work by deleting the previous build files on the local machine -  i.e. I deleted the bin and obj directories under the main executable project.  After I did that, I was able to publish successfully.

I was able to publish another 3 or 4 times; then started getting the "published version...exists" message again.   I again deleted the folders and published successfully again.

Not the perfect solution, but...

Thursday, September 6, 2007 12:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,please try use a new certification.

Monday, September 3, 2007 9:03 AM
  • I have the same problem.

"Published Version ?????? already exists on server. Do you want to overwrite it?" 

I click yes the program publishes, increments it's version numbers, but will not install after that.  The error is:

" Application Validation did not succeed. Unable-to-continue." 

I believe I cause it by somehow changed the publish location to a different directory on the local drive. However, I do not know how to get it back.

Did you solve your problem.

rehabman

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 8:37 PM
  • I was able to get it to work by deleting the previous build files on the local machine -  i.e. I deleted the bin and obj directories under the main executable project.  After I did that, I was able to publish successfully.

I was able to publish another 3 or 4 times; then started getting the "published version...exists" message again.   I again deleted the folders and published successfully again.

Not the perfect solution, but...

Thursday, September 6, 2007 12:18 PM
  • Just after I posted the message, Here is what I did and it seem to work.

To fix clickonce deployement issue:
    Published version 2.0.0.12 already exists on the server. Do you want to overwrite it?

Go to the application bin.

Locate the applications   ????.exe.manifest    file  (about 3 k in size) 
    Open with a text editor and see if it has the old revision number in it(In my case it is 2.0.12, even though I was at 2.0.0.17).

If so. try changing the name of the file to something like xxx ????.ese.manifest

Then run the build and publish, It created a new manifest file and all seems to work. 

I do not know if this creates other issues or not, or any longer term problems, but will let you know if it does.

Thanks

Thursday, September 6, 2007 12:59 PM
  • Thanks, I'll try that.  

Thursday, September 6, 2007 1:33 PM
  • Thanks, I appreciate the effort!

I ended up using a new certificate.   I was trying to avoid doing that because it meant having all of my users uninstall and reinstall the application.   But, it ended up not being quite so bad as I anticipated.   I put the app with the new certificate in a new folder and gave the users sufficient warning before I "turned off" (deleted) the old version. 

I started using the new certificate in May, and haven't had any issues since then. 

Friday, September 5, 2008 12:23 AM