none
Oracle --> SSIS --> SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a NUMBER (5) Oracle source type and NUMERIC (5) SQL Server target datatype.

The SSIS's Oracle Connector I am using is automatically taking Source's  NUMBER (5) as four-byte signed integer [DT_14] based on below blog from Attunity.

http://forums.attunity.com/forums/microsoft-ssis-oracle-connector/mapping-oracle-number-data-types-ssis-1326.html

Can I declare all my SSIS's internal types for source's NUMBER (5) as four-byte signed integer [DT_14] and expect it be compatible with my SQL Server target's NUMERIC (5)?

I have a scenario where my MERGE JOIN is not working as expected, and am suspecting datatype incompatibility as the cause of this problem?   I have made sure my sort orders are taken care, both in ORDER clause and also in SortKeyPositions......So, thought of seeking your opinion on this - thanks....

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 10:50 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

No, number accepts a fractional portion whereas DT_I4 is an integer which does not.

You need to override the conversion to use DT_REAL to match on the precision. 

Attunity shouldn't be converting like you said, this is a loss of data.

Arthur

MyBlog

Twitter

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 1:33 PM
  • thanks for the reply.

At my source, the datatype has a precision of (5,0).  So, no fractional part.  May be that is why Attunity is making its own decision to convert to four-byte signed integer [DT_14] ?

Next,   is  NUMBER (5,0) --->   DT_14 -->  NUMERIC (5,0)    a valid combination from Oracle ---> SSIS ---> SQL Server?

thank you.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 1:42 PM
  • >NUMBER (5,0) --->   DT_14 -->  NUMERIC (5,0)    a valid combination from Oracle ---> SSIS ---> SQL Server?

Yes.  The set of numbers represented by NUMBER(5,0) is a subset of the 4-byte integers. 

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

• Proposed as answer by Seif Wang Wednesday, October 5, 2016 1:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eric__ZhangModerator Wednesday, October 19, 2016 9:15 AM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 1:53 PM
  • Yes, do as you said

NUMBER (5,0) --->   DT_14 -->  NUMERIC (5,0)

so it is a match on both ends and it should work.

Arthur

MyBlog

Twitter

• Proposed as answer by Seif Wang Wednesday, October 5, 2016 1:59 AM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 3:58 PM