oil & gas pipe line drawings RRS feed

• General discussion

• i need to know how i can prepared CAD pipe line drawings about gas & oli 
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 6:14 PM

All replies

• Hello! The the facto standard for engineering drawings is autocad from autodesk, of course there are other big names like microstation. That said, nothing prevents you from preparing piping drawings with expression design, it is a vector design software that allows you to create blocks, it's also able to manage basic measure units and has layer support. (From Microsoft, you may also consider Visio, you should find and evaluation version available, it has a library of engineering symbols)
    I never happened to produce piping schemas from scratch with expression design, but my customer used it to markup existing piping and instrumentation diagrams (and sporadically to make minor changes), they needed to underline each subsystem in some drawings in a specific color coded patterned line. From that experience I can tell you that design has been able to manage drawings with lots of lines, smoothly. We converted the dwg files from autocad into .pdf, renamed them to .ai to imported them in design. This worked fine for each of our drawings, though I cannot guarantee it will work always. Once imported, we worked on the .design files and later exported the finished drawing in .pdf.

I dunno any way to import something made in Design back to autocad, so mind this very carefully if you decide to go for Design. There are third party .pdf to .dwg converters but I never tested any of them.

Short version: it is possible to make engineering drawings in design, but it is not made for that purpose and you may find it lacking some tools available in other CAD software, so before investing on it, be sure to download the evaluation version to see if it is useful to you, and check for alternatives among software purposely created for piping.

• Edited by Elena Malnati Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:20 PM added spaces for readability
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:17 PM