Setup and Installer Package RRS feed

• Question

•           I have developed CF2.0 application and did CAB Project and MSI installer package to deploy. I do see lot of downloads on my application but all the downloaders are disapppearing after download.

I accidentaly found the reason that, when they try to install my Compact Framework 2.0 application with the supplied Installer the installer asks for .Net Framework 2.0 to be present in the Desktop since my application and Setup projects were developed in Visual Studio 2005.

I do not think many users will have this framework installed in their desktop. As soon as it is prompted to download Framework for Desktop it discourages to continue further.

What can I do about this? Is there any other method to build setup project so that it does not require Framework 2.0 (outside VS2005 -- probably using VB or any other platform). Please shed some light and directions on this issue.

Thanks,
    Vijay

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 6:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'm assuming you're using this article as a base?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetcomp/html/deploy_cf2_apps_cab_msi.asp

If so, it's easy to remove dependency in Framework 2.0. You can either compile code from this article using VS 2003//Net 1.1 or rewrite the code in VB script instead and avoid framework dependency altogether.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 7:37 PM
  •        I figured I have to use some other platform to build installer. I am basing this document to build my MSI/Setup files(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetcomp/html/deploy_cf2_apps_cab_msi.asp)

Here is my other questions(I started GUI development in .Net. So I do not know other technologies. I have done some simple VBscript with ADO, Email and File Syatems). So if the example is going to be in other platform please provide as much information possible.

1.  Can some one show me an example of writing in VBScript to deploy CAB file to the device?
    2.  Is there any other 3rd party tool available to do the same? (I am looking for just simple one -- Deploy CAB file to the Device .. I do not want to/have to install anything in the desktop).
    3.  When MSFT will release CF2.0 and Mobile SQL 3.0 to Device manufacturers?
    4.  I have recent copy of Windows XP Pro. That did not have Framework 1.1 or Framework 2.0 included. Is MSFT planning to include Framework with OS in future?
    Probably in LongHorn? This way I do not have to indstruct the users to download Framework to run MSI package developed in .Net.

Can someone please answer my questions?  Any other alternatives are welcome.

Thanks,
    Vijay

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 1:44 PM
  • Hi Vijay,

I'd like to ask you two questions:

1. Based on this article (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetcomp/html/deploy_cf2_apps_cab_msi.asp), how do you include the framework CF 2.0 and Mobile SQL 3.0 into yuor install package? 
    2. When I tested my install package, some popup  message boxes come up, such as "File 1: App.ini", how do you disable them ?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 5:32 PM
  •     1. I do not know how to do that. I asked the same question on my other thread and I got answer. But I have not tried that yet. http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=260869&SiteID=1
    If you get an answer please let me know.

2. I followed exactly as mentioned in the link and I did not get any such "File 1:App.ini"  message. There is some gray area in the document and it is in the Custom unstaller. I tried different folders for the installer and I think I put that in Application Folder to make it work. You must put the ini file in the same folder where your CAB file was included when you build your installer.

Thanks,
    Vijay

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 6:28 PM
  •     I found an answer. You just add as many .ini files and CAB files to the installer like you did for your application. But each .ini can have CAB files related to one application. You can give multiple CAB files with comma delimited in the .ini file.

I tested that yesterday and it worked. I was able to deploy both my application and CAB files for CF2.0. Only disadvantage is your file download for your customer will be big.

Question:
    Can some one tell me how to avoid writing Custom installer using Other languages so that my MSI installer application does not require .Net Framework. Some one told me to write in VBScript. Is there any better way to do that? How can I get return code/error handle in the custom installer class?

Thanks,
    Vijay

Thursday, March 16, 2006 8:33 PM
  • Hi Vijay,

Could you please send me your installer project and ini files as an example? I tried to deploy CF 2.0 by the same method yesterday, after the CF was installed, the PPC as me to restart. After I restarted, the installation couldn't continue, and my application did not have a chance to install.

Thanks in advance.

Friday, March 17, 2006 2:34 PM
  •      In the custom installer at BeforeInstall event repeat the last line based on the online documentation as many times as you want based on how many applications you have to deploy.

//Runn CeAppMgr.exe to install the files to the device.

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(this.AppMgrPath, "\"" + Path.Combine(this.AppInstallPath, CEAPPMGR_INI_FILE_APP) + "\"");

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(this.AppMgrPath, "\"" + Path.Combine(this.AppInstallPath, CEAPPMGR_INI_FILE_CF2) + "\"");

Put your application First and then the CF2.0. This way your application will be installed first. If you want you can try to put some timer inbetween your app deploy and CF2.0. I have not tried that. My application was very small so it went quick than CF2.0. Try using time delay between two Process.Start.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 1:31 PM