none
Using the 'My Places Editor'? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm returning to my use of Bing Maps after a long absence (looking for a useable alternative to the mess that Google has made of its Maps application). So please excuse what's probably a couple of embarrassingly simple questions.

Q1: I used 'Add a pushpin' to create a new 'place' and SAVED it in the default folder (list?) called Unsaved Places. So why this message 'You haven't saved yet. Save now' ?'

Q2: As I find this list's purpose obscure, for the time being I'd like to delete it. (I'll add more friendly lists called 'Places' and 'Tracks', etc.) But how do I delete it? The Actions drop-down doesn't have a Delete option. Is this a permanently 'protected' list, and if so, how is it intended to be used please? Seems a contradiction to have a collection of Unsaved Places. (That have actually been saved!)

P.S. I tried to add a carefully prepared screenshot, but on using Send I received a message telling me that's not allowed until my account is verified. Presumably I get an email?. How long should I expect that to take?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Friday, February 20, 2015 2:12 PM

Answers

• The "Unsaved Places" folder is a layer that provides users a place to save locations without having to create a layer first. Many users just want to start adding data to the map without having or knowing that they should create a layer first for their collection. The unsaved folder stores these in case a user forgets to save these to a layer of their own. I'm sure people would be angry if they spent a bunch of time adding locations to the map, only to lose it if they accidentally changed pages, or refreshed the browser.

Deleting this folder is not an option. It shouldn't matter anyways as only you see this folder

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Monday, February 23, 2015 5:31 PM

All replies

• The "Unsaved Places" folder is a layer that provides users a place to save locations without having to create a layer first. Many users just want to start adding data to the map without having or knowing that they should create a layer first for their collection. The unsaved folder stores these in case a user forgets to save these to a layer of their own. I'm sure people would be angry if they spent a bunch of time adding locations to the map, only to lose it if they accidentally changed pages, or refreshed the browser.

Deleting this folder is not an option. It shouldn't matter anyways as only you see this folder

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Monday, February 23, 2015 5:31 PM
  • Thanks, understood.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 11:04 AM