All measures show no values RRS feed

• Question

•  

I made a number of dimension and calculated member mods and notice that all now no base or calculated measures display values, they just show blanks in the browser and query window.  To try to isolate, I've

(1) removed every dimension and calculated member

(2) verified there are no defaultmembers for dimensions

(3) verified there are no dimension attributes set to IsAggregatable = False

(4) verified there are no deploy or script errors

(5) fully processed every dm and fact

(6) verified there are dim and claim records loaded with values in all appropriate columns

When I process the cube, it shows that rows are read, etc...  All that looks normal.  Just when I browse or query, all measures display as blanks or nulls.

What could cause this behavior?  Any ideas on how to futher isolate?  I can go to a backup but very concerned that this can happen with no error messages or warnings, so I want to find the cause.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 5:32 AM

Answers

• the most likely cause of this behaviour is that you have removed the default "CALCULATE;" statement that normally appears at the top of the calculation script.

Without this statement only the leaf level cells are populated, so you would only be able to see the data if you drilled down to the leaf level in every single dimension.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:06 AM

All replies

• the most likely cause of this behaviour is that you have removed the default "CALCULATE;" statement that normally appears at the top of the calculation script.

Without this statement only the leaf level cells are populated, so you would only be able to see the data if you drilled down to the leaf level in every single dimension.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:06 AM
  • Yes, you hit the nail in the head.  Shortly after I posted I noticed that CALCULATE was not in the script.  I must have deleted it accidently cutting and pasting formulas.  Does is matter where CALCULATE is?  i.e. does it need to be at the top?

Thursday, May 29, 2008 3:27 PM
  • Yes, it does matter where it is. Any calculations before the CALCULATE will "see" the cube as you were seeing it - with values only at the very leaf levels. So normally CALCULATE should be the very first statement in the calculation script.
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:55 PM