Can this be done? Adding an Azure DFS-N/R share to On-Prem DFS RRS feed

• Question

• Can you replicate DFS share into Azure from On Prem? If so which storage do i need to do it?

Would it be easier to setup a virtual machine in Azure and use DFS-R to take advantage of it over a VPN tunnel?

Can someone suggest a way to do this?

I have seen conflicting data on this with various dates so i was just curious how i would have to do this.

• Edited by Goofoff Friday, December 9, 2016 11:55 PM rephrasing.
    Friday, December 9, 2016 8:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here!

Your SO thread has been responded by ‘4c74356b41’ , kindly check that and see if that helps, if you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Vikranth S.

Saturday, December 10, 2016 4:07 PM
  • Hello,

You can setup a VM with DFS-R installed and configured on Azure, and connect it to the on-premise network via site-to-site VPN. 

More information about that, you can refer to the following link.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/keithmayer/2014/02/20/step-by-step-file-server-disaster-recovery-in-the-clouds-with-windows-azure-and-windows-server-2012-r2/

On the other hand, as far as I know, you can't use Azure file storage for DFS-R.

Regards,
    Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Goofoff Monday, December 12, 2016 3:39 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2016 9:50 AM
  • Thanks. I got on and actually tested this.

I could not find any way to connect the Azure Blob or File storage to a VM natively.

So the way i wanted it to work it is not going to.

Chaos causes progress, Order inhibits it.

Monday, December 12, 2016 3:40 PM