none
Converting Word 97 to Word 2010 file format RRS feed

• Question

• How can I programmatically convert word 97 (.doc) file into Word 201o (.docx) using C#?

Adeel

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:07 AM

Answers

• Hi Adeel

Look at the Document.SaveAs method.

Note that in this case you will need to use the Format command. Read the WdSaveFormat enumeration carefully. You should choose wdFormatXMLDocument if you want to save as *.docx.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

• Marked as answer by maverick786us Thursday, July 26, 2012 5:52 AM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:35 AM
  • The SaveAs method that Cindy talks about is a method that belongs to all Word Document objects.

A document object is returned by the following:

oWord.Documents.Open(File);

It's just a case of saving it....so:

MSWord.Document myDocument = oWord.Documents.Open(File);

Then you can apply the SaveAs method.

myDocument.SaveAs(//arguments);
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 10:26 AM
  • If you want to use Word Interop, the best you can do is open a document using a hidden Word application (wordApp.Visible = false).
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 12:33 PM
  • When you use 'SaveAs', doesn't that document then become the active one? So, if you open 'C:\Test01.doc', and then save it as 'C:\Test02.docx', you're then safe to delete Test01.doc, because the document has become Test02.docx.

I could be wrong.

• Marked as answer by maverick786us Thursday, July 26, 2012 10:18 AM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Hi Adeel

You must open a document in order to convert it.

Or Word Automation Services (part of SharePoint) has to be available, server-side.

Or you have to purchase a third-party tool that can convert the old *.doc file format in *.docx, without the help of the Word Application.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 11:20 AM

All replies

• IN what kind of environment? Meaning...

1. Is this a server environment or would it be on a local machine?

2. Would you have a recent version of SharePoint available? (Thing about Word Automation Services, which would be the best approach.)

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:05 AM
  • IN what kind of environment? Meaning...

1. Is this a server environment or would it be on a local machine?

2. Would you have a recent version of SharePoint available? (Thing about Word Automation Services, which would be the best approach.)

Local Machine in which the user has MS Office 2010 installed

Adeel

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:06 AM
  • Hi Adeel

Note that in this case you will need to use the Format command. Read the WdSaveFormat enumeration carefully. You should choose wdFormatXMLDocument if you want to save as *.docx.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:35 AM
  • Hi Adeel

According to this artical. _DocumentSaveAs belongs to Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word namespace. Now How can I access this method. I declared my objects like this.

using MSWord = Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word;
    private MSWord.Application oWord;
    oWord = (MSWord.Application)applicationObject;

This oWord holds the current context. Now I have the path of the .doc file so how can I access _DocumentSaveAs from oWord to convert it?

Adeel

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 10:00 AM
  • Secondly DocumentSave as is used for current document. In my case I will provide the path of the .doc file that has to be converted into .docx format.

Adeel

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 10:10 AM
  • The SaveAs method that Cindy talks about is a method that belongs to all Word Document objects.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 10:26 AM

Thank you Joseph. This thing looks perfectly fine. But can this be done before opening the document. Because when I have to Save it into .docx before opening it.

Thanks in Advance

Adeel

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 10:53 AM
  • Hi Adeel

Or Word Automation Services (part of SharePoint) has to be available, server-side.

Or you have to purchase a third-party tool that can convert the old *.doc file format in *.docx, without the help of the Word Application.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 11:20 AM
  • Hi Adeel

OK Is there a way it silently opens the file (without letting the user to know) and then converts into .docx and then open that .docx file? Because I have first converted this .odt file into .doc and than that .doc into .docx. So I don't want the user to see the first conversion

Adeel

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 11:45 AM
  • If you want to use Word Interop, the best you can do is open a document using a hidden Word application (wordApp.Visible = false).
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 12:33 PM

And 2nd thing is, my plugin converts .odt into .docx. Now open office SDKs cannot convert an .odt file into .docx. However it can convert it into Word 97 format (.doc). So I have to first convert it into .doc and then .docx. So there is a  small problem. This overall process creates 2 files. 1. The converted .doc file and other the .docx file. So what is the best way to avoid this. Do I have to use the cheap way of deleting the .doc file once .docx file has been created or is there some other way?

Adeel

Thursday, July 26, 2012 4:19 AM
  • Anyways I used this whole code to get my job done.

1) It converts .odt file into .doc file
    2) Opens that .doc file
    3) Then it converts .doc file into .docx file
    4) Closes that .doc file
    5) Deletes that .doc file
    6) Opens the finally created .docx file

Here is the code

object fileFormat = MSWord.WdSaveFormat.wdFormatDocumentDefault;
    oWord.ActiveDocument.Close(); // close the currently loaded .odp file
    saveDocument(xComponent, File, PathConverter(File)); // Converting from .odp to .doc

Extension = Path.GetExtension(File);
    oWord.Visible = false;
    Document = oWord.Documents.Open(File); // open the newly created .doc file
    File = File.Replace(".doc", ".docx");
    Document.SaveAs(File, fileFormat); // convert the .doc file into .docx
    oWord.ActiveDocument.Close(); // close the .doc file 
    System.IO.File.Delete(oldFile); // delet the .doc file
    oWord.Visible = true;
    oWord.Documents.Open(File); // reload the .docx file

This whole thing seems to work fine, there is just one small problem. It restarts the whole word. How can I overcome this.

Adeel

Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:07 AM
  • I have to confess I don't have experience with .ODTfiles.

However, I'm happy to have a punt! From your example it looks like you're opening the .ODT file with Word. I would have thought you could then save it directly to .DOCX. I don't think you need to close the document, and re-open it.

• Edited by JosephFox Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:56 AM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:55 AM
  • I have to confess I don't have experience with .ODTfiles.

However, I'm happy to have a punt! From your example it looks like you're opening the .ODT file with Word. I would have thought you could then save it directly to .DOCX. I don't think you need to close the document, and re-open it.

It makes a copy of the document and then convert to (Just like the case of Save Aa). So the original document has to be closed and then the converted document has to be opened

Adeel

Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:50 AM
  • When you use 'SaveAs', doesn't that document then become the active one? So, if you open 'C:\Test01.doc', and then save it as 'C:\Test02.docx', you're then safe to delete Test01.doc, because the document has become Test02.docx.

I could be wrong.

• Marked as answer by maverick786us Thursday, July 26, 2012 10:18 AM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Got the point. It works. Thanks

Adeel

Thursday, July 26, 2012 11:00 AM