Problem while updating Windows phone Silverlight application 8.1. -> UWP. RRS feed

• Question

• If the device was installed my Windows phone Silverlight application 8.1 then after receipt of the UWP application pack I got a breakage in the list of installed applications.

Detail next....

I have a published application Windows phone Silverlight 8.1.

Two names were reserved in Store for the application (the localized name for different languages).

In the Store posted two packages with different package.appxmanifest for different regions:

1) For one region in package.appxmanifest recorded DisplayName = "LocalizedName1"

2) to another region in package.appxmanifest recorded DisplayName = "LocalizedName2"

In each region, users in the list of applications on your device, see the localized name of the application.

Now I am completing migration applications to UWP. I use "ms-resource: AppName" for Display name in the package.appxmanifest file to localize the application name.

I posted the test package in the windows store for testing application update case for existing users.

If the device was installed my Windows phone Silverlight application 8.1 after receipt of the application pack to UWP I got a breakage in the list of installed applications.

In the list of applications on the device, my application is displayed twice:

1) new application icon from the application version UWP + localized application name.

2) a blank icon and the localized name of the application. I think there should be old icon from the Silverlight application version 8.1.

Click on the new icon launches my application.

Click on an empty icon does not perform any action.

Long press on an empty icon gives you the ability to function from the drop-down menu, "delete." And it removes the application completely.

How to find a way in your application have the localized name of the UWP applications for different markets and avoid this problem, display the list of applications on the device after the upgrade to WP SL 8.1-> UWP?

• Edited by andrey_vb Wednesday, July 13, 2016 4:50 PM
    • Moved by Barry Wang Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:39 AM submit and publish related
    Wednesday, July 13, 2016 4:48 PM

All replies

• Hello Andrey_vb,

So it seems the problem is like this:

If you already have a exist version of WPSL on your Phone, when you are trying to install the UWP version it will not remove the old version.

How did you put two DisplayName in one package.manifest? Or do you mean you have two packages there in the dashboard?

Have you checked your package version number? Maybe you have different version number for your different package. Then when it is trying to install from the Store, it matches the highest version so the UWP version is installed. But it cannot uninstall the previous version.

By the way, does the delete action also removes the latest UWP version?

Best regards,

Barry

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:55 AM
  • Maybe I confused everything. I will detail my case.

I have published app Wp SL 8.1

WP SL 8.1 app Submission contain 2 package:

First  package for EN language. In this package in manifest DisplayName = "AppLocalizedNameEnglish".

Second package for RU language. In this package in manifest DisplayName = "AppLocalizedNameRussian".

App for WP SL8.1 have version = 1.6.xx.xx in packags.

Submission for WUP app contain app version = 2.0.xx.xx in package. This package contain manifest with using "ms-resource: AppName" for Display name.

If I install on device app from WP SL 8.1 Submission and next time receive Update from Submission for WUP then I see two string for may app in application list on device.

And this really update from Wp Sl 8.1 app -> UWP app.
    It's not two different installation of the application.

In UWP app I see and work with files and data which are created in the WP 8.1 SL application before updates.

But there are two entries in the app list for my applications on a device.

I have not tested that will remove the application if you use the UWP.
    To retest this case I need to delete package UPW, wait a few hours and only then will I be able to install an older version of the application version WP SL 8.1. Then you should send the package again UWP for certification and again give about 10 six hours until I can get an update on the device.
    But since the publication of the post I checked another case.
    If the package manifest contains UWP DisplayName = "ZenLockScreen" instead of DisplayName = "ms-resource: AppName" then update the application takes place absolutely correctly.
    But how do I save the localized name of the applications after the upgrade for all existing users?

So far I have only one idea. This is a rolling upgrade:

1) Publish the reconditioning of UWP where manifest DisplayName = "ZenLockScreen". All users in all regions of the localized name for your application after upgrading to change to English. But there is no problem in the applications list.
    2) then publish the new version of the UWP fix to manifest where DisplayName = "ms-resource: AppName".
    I think that after step 2 users in each region will receive the localized DisplayName.
    But I don't like it this way. Two application update for 300000 users only in order to save the localized name of the application-it is very hard.

• Edited by andrey_vb Thursday, July 14, 2016 11:12 AM
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 11:04 AM
  • @andrey_vb,

Thanks for the updated info. I think submit forum is better for your case so I moved it here.

I'm trying to check how to set the language for difference names. The official document says use different names is the suggest way but it does not tell us about how we can set it when upgrade from Windows Phone to UWP scenario. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/publish/manage-app-names

May I ask this question, have you ever tried to add the resource folder like this page mentioned:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh454044

Best regards,

Barry

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Barry Wang Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:50 AM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:46 AM
  • May I ask this question, have you ever tried to add the resource folder like this page mentioned:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh454044

This page describe app name localization for Windows 8.1 Store apps.

But I migrate app from Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1.

As I understand the WP project SL 8.1 does not support this method of localization of the application name.
    I tried using the manifest WP SL 8.1  <DisplayName> ms-resource:MyLocalizedName </DisplayName> but got errors when building in Visual Studio.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 12:08 PM