Azure websites msdeploy failing RRS feed

• Question

• I have several VSO projects that are configured to deploy to Azure websites in the SouthEastAsia region. This was setup using the Azure portal VSO build -> azure deployment. There is no change from the usual defaults.

Since last night, these VSO builds have been failing to deploy. The VSO builds take about an hour and then fail due to a timeout.

The builds don't log any useful information about the deployment process that would assist diagnosis.

An earlier build this morning presented the following error, which is possibly related:

Compile, Test and Publish

Run optional script before MSBuild

Configure build for Continuous Deployment

Looking up Deployment Environment XXX-sitename.

The thumbprint for the current certificate used to connect is D3268AA10C4581C9FC3DE4C3FE40978916F3B1DE.

An attempted http request against URI https://management.core.windows.net/5a3d017a-476e-42a6-8222-1fb334954862/services/webspaces/SoutheastAsiawebspace/sites/XXX-sitename/publishxml returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

Exception Message: One or more errors occurred. (type AggregateException) Exception Stack Trace: at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Deployment.Workflow.Activities.RestApiAsyncCodeActivity`1.ProcessAggregateException(AsyncCodeActivityContext context, AggregateException ag) at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Deployment.Workflow.Activities.RestApiAsyncCodeActivity`1.EndExecute(AsyncCodeActivityContext context, IAsyncResult result) at System.Activities.AsyncCodeActivity`1.System.Activities.IAsyncCodeActivity.FinishExecution(AsyncCodeActivityContext context, IAsyncResult result) at System.Activities.AsyncCodeActivity.CompleteAsyncCodeActivityData.CompleteAsyncCodeActivityWorkItem.Execute(ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager) Inner Exception Details: Exception Message: One or more errors occurred. (type AggregateException) Exception Stack Trace: at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.GetResultCore(Boolean waitCompletionNotification) at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute() Inner Exception Details: Exception Message: An attempted http request against URI https://management.core.windows.net/5a3d017a-476e-42a6-8222-1fb334954862/services/webspaces/SoutheastAsiawebspace/sites/XXX-sitename/publishxml returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error. (type HttpRequestWithUriException) Exception Stack Trace: at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Deployment.Workflow.Activities.GetAzureWebsitePublishProfile.<>c__DisplayClass2.<GetApiTask>b__0(Task`1 returnTask) at System.Threading.Tasks.ContinuationResultTaskFromResultTask`2.InnerInvoke() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

I've seen the 1 hour timeout occur on two websites on the same subscription. I also attempted to run a visual studio publish to one of the sites, which progressed slowly for a while and then errored with the following message:

3>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v12.0\Web\Microsoft.Web.Publishing.targets(4270,5): Error ERROR_PROXY_GATEWAY: Web deployment task failed. (Could not connect to the remote computer ("XXX-sitename.scm.azurewebsites.net") using the specified process ("Web Management Service"). This can happen if a proxy server is interrupting communication with the destination server. Disable the proxy server and try again.  Learn more at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=221672#ERROR_PROXY_GATEWAY.)

Friday, October 17, 2014 1:30 AM

Answers

• The issue was a regression in Azure Websites which exposed another issue with parsing cookies in Web Deploy.  We fixed the issue within Azure Websites so that older clients will not hit this issue, as well as updated the Web Deploy 3.5 installer so that users with the updated version will not hit a similar issue in the future.
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 3:44 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Refer these links the similar issue has been discussed, check this out:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/8b9714b6-8e19-41fd-ad08-6ae1fe5b1aec/attempting-to-use-msdeploy-to-azure-websites-just-times-out?forum=windowsazurewebsitespreview

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/61291139-59b3-41b7-a10a-4c5042ec736a/azure-msdeploy-issue?forum=windowsazurewebsitespreview

Regards.

Friday, October 17, 2014 6:10 AM
  • Hi Angelov, at first glance, neither of those links seem relevant to me. Can you perhaps expand a little on what parts of them would solve the issue for me? Perhaps I'm misreading things.

For context in case you're unfamiliar with the method that I'm using to deploy, this is a project hosted on Visual Studio Online (VSO) as a git repository. Pushing a change to VSO triggers a Team Build (using GitContinuousDeploymentTemplate.12.xaml). This template etc. are automatically setup and configured from the Azure portal link to VSO functionality. This template contains an activity (RunContinuousDeployment), which includes an MsDeploy actitivity. That activity runs MsDeploy via its API. There are no places to inject command line parameters in any of this that I'm aware of. All this happens in the cloud. We don't have any logs from this because the activities are deficient in including these.

The manual deployment from Visual Studio that I tried was very slow. This was using the publish settings downloaded from the Azure site. I'd assume that these should be sufficient in order to publish to Azure, or if they're not, this is another bug that needs to be addressed.

Friday, October 17, 2014 6:27 AM
  • Hi Josh,

I think it may be possible that your deployment may be timing out somehow on the server.  Do you have a lot of content that you're publishing?  If you email me (ellhamai (at) microsoft dot com) your hostname and a time frame for when you tried publishing last, I can check to see what status codes VSO is receiving to see if this is true or not.  Also just to get more data, could you try creating an empty site and deploy a very minimal amount of content to make sure that this isn't related to deployment size somehow?

Thanks,
    Elliott

Friday, October 17, 2014 5:30 PM
  • Hi Elliot,

Thanks for you reply. I put in a support request in about this issue on Friday. The deployment was definitely timing out. Previously successful deployments took around 30 seconds. The timeout is on the VSO build side, after 1 hour. There isn't a material change to the size of deployment. I've also tried running a build against a previously successful commit. This timed out just the same. I'll forward you on the correspondence I've had with support which has hostnames / times.

Sunday, October 19, 2014 4:16 AM
  • Hi Josh McKinney,

Has your issue resolved ? If yes, please provide us the work around so that it can help others who has similar issues.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 3:39 PM
  • Shirsha,

I have since moved to a different job, but this was an intermittent failure. Elliot probably has more info than I do now.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 12:35 AM
  • Hi Josh,

Thanks for the response and update.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 11:44 AM
  • The issue was a regression in Azure Websites which exposed another issue with parsing cookies in Web Deploy.  We fixed the issue within Azure Websites so that older clients will not hit this issue, as well as updated the Web Deploy 3.5 installer so that users with the updated version will not hit a similar issue in the future.
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 3:44 PM
  • Hello!

I have the same issue & I can't solve it. Can someone help me with that please?

/Maryam

Monday, February 16, 2015 4:31 PM
  • @Maryam: though issue referred to above was fix, and there is nothing specific that you need to do to get the fix. If you are getting msdeploy errors today, you are probably dealing with a different condition, even if the error looks similar. Can you please start a new thread with the specifics of your error?
    Tuesday, February 17, 2015 12:00 AM
  • Yes I have done that already :-)

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/eee043ab-66d2-4cc4-aa65-5020a93982a6/azure-websites-continues-deployment-using-visual-studio-online-doesnt-work?forum=windowsazurewebsitespreview

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 11:54 AM