Visual Studio 2017 wont display Xamarin Profiler - Spent 5 hours. RRS feed

• Question

• User35081 posted

I've put 5 hours into trying to get VS to display the Xamarin profiler.

Yes I followed the troubleshooting checklist

https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/profiler/troubleshooting/

I am - In debug mode and therefore cant have LLVM - I have Enterprise Edition on Visual Studio 2017 - I have a valid Enterprise Licences - Checked with MSDN support - Platform is PC and IOS - Supported

I checked in both the "Analyze" menu and the "Tools" menu for the icon.

I'm an MSDN user and therefore don't have a license. BUT I do see this in the Ide.log

Xamarin.VisualStudio.Activation.AccountManager|Information|0|VS2017 Enterprise
        Xamarin.VisualStudio.Activation.ActivationManager|Information|0|No license found for iOS
        Xamarin.VisualStudio.Activation.ActivationManager|Information|0|Running license sync for iOS
        Xamarin.VisualStudio.Activation.ActivationManager|Information|0|No license found for Android
        Xamarin.VisualStudio.Activation.ActivationManager|Information|0|Running license sync for Android
        Xamarin.VisualStudio.TastyPackage|Information|0|Hooked up SDB tracing adapter
        Xamarin.VisualStudio.TastyPackage|Information|0|Initialization finished
        Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.XamarinIOSPackage|Warning|0|Initializing Xamarin.VisualStudio.IOS.XamarinIOSPackage.
        Xamarin.Inspector|Information|0|Inspector extension loaded
        Xamarin.VisualStudio.Activation.ActivationManager|Error|0|Failed to update Android license: ProtocolError.
        Xamarin.VisualStudio.Activation.ActivationManager|Error|0|Failed to update iOS license: ProtocolError.

But I am able to build and run.

I also can run the profiler with mlpd files that I imported from the Mac.

The problem is I have a Mac Mini with an 8GB limit and when i run Visual Studio, Xamarn Profiler, the system goes to 250% CPU since I assume its thrashing.. I want to use the VS Profiler so i can avoid this.

Please help!!

Monday, February 5, 2018 10:01 PM

All replies

• User35081 posted

Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 (2) Version 15.5.5 VisualStudio.15.Release/15.5.5+27130.2026 Microsoft .NET Framework Version 4.7.02556

Xamarin 4.8.0.760 (fc93f3f5b) Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android.

Xamarin Designer 4.8.188 (c5813fa34) Visual Studio extension to enable Xamarin Designer tools in Visual Studio.

Xamarin.Android SDK 8.1.5.0 (HEAD/75f8c6838) Xamarin.Android Reference Assemblies and MSBuild support.

Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Mac SDK 11.6.1.4 (db807ec) Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Mac Reference Assemblies and MSBuild support.

Monday, February 5, 2018 10:03 PM
  • User35081 posted

I had two versions of Visual Studio on this machine. Professional and Enterprise. I remove the Professional this morning. But Enterprise still shows up like this.

Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 (2)

Could it be trying to install into the wrong version?

Monday, February 5, 2018 10:04 PM
  • User35081 posted

My Logs..

Monday, February 5, 2018 10:06 PM
  • User35081 posted

I also logged in and out of MSDN as is suggested here.

https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/17228/cant-download-latest-update-could-not-contact-update-server

But no joy.

Monday, February 5, 2018 10:13 PM
  • User35081 posted

@BrendanZagaeski

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 7:24 PM
  • User193682 posted

@mbalsam_nyc did you find a solution?

Friday, February 23, 2018 7:23 AM
  • User120906 posted

I'm experiencing the same, I've filed a bug here: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=61238

Monday, February 26, 2018 5:39 AM