none
MSDN Academic Alliance Licence Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I have the questions about MSDN Academic Alliance Licence:
    1. Is it true that Windows from MSDNAA coudn't be used for personal, not university linked activities such as playing games and chating with friends?

2. I've read in licence agreement that "You may not use the software for commercial software hosting services.". Based on that I think it is not allowed to develop web pages for customers, which are used commercially f.ex. internet shops (even when we develop for free). But components for such pages or even shop templates could be developed for free. Right?

3. There is no need for developed product' licence clause: "only for non-commercial usage", so developed products could be used free even commercially, but develop process should be without salary. Is it true?

Saturday, January 19, 2013 1:57 PM

Answers

• Kamys,

We have documentation that can address common questions that come from different users in the DreamSpark program, students, educators, and institutions. Let me point you to the DreamSpark FAQ: https://www.dreamspark.com/Support/FAQ/Default.aspx. And the DreamSpark License Agreement: https://www.dreamspark.com/licensing/basic-EULA.aspx

Both of these resources cover the answers to your questions and to others under DreamSpark. 

On to your questions:

1. Is it true that Windows from MSDNAA coudn't be used for personal, not university linked activities such as playing games and chating with friends?

From the FAQ:

Are there any limitations on the way I use the Microsoft tools I get through DreamSpark? 

You may only use the tools and software from DreamSpark to get ahead in school, develop new skills and take steps in research in science, technology, engineering or mathematics.You can review the license agreement for more details.

2. I've read in licence agreement that "You may not use the software for commercial software hosting services.". Based on that I think it is not allowed to develop web pages for customers, which are used commercially f.ex. internet shops (even when we develop for free). But components for such pages or even shop templates could be developed for free. Right?

I dont see a clause on hosting in the DreamSpark FAQ.  Can you tell me what license agreement you found that on?  Based on clause 4C of the license agreement, which states

c. No commercial use.
    If you use the software to create software programs, you may only commercially use or distribute them upon the purchase of appropriate commercial license(s) for the software. You may however submit software programs that you create using the DreamSpark Subscription software to Microsoft app stores, including for revenue.

You, and customers you develop software for using DreamSpark tools, cannot be used in for-profit endeavors. 

3. There is no need for developed product' licence clause: "only for non-commercial usage", so developed products could be used free even commercially, but develop process should be without salary. Is it true?

No, developed products cannot be used commercially per clause 4C.

Let me know what other questions you have and please see my question above.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Monday, January 21, 2013 6:14 PM

All replies

• Hi, this MS education website contains further information to contact MS for more detailed guidance and explanation:
    http://www.microsoft.com/education/en-us/buy/Pages/education_alliance_agreements.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, January 20, 2013 2:34 AM
  • Kamys,

We have documentation that can address common questions that come from different users in the DreamSpark program, students, educators, and institutions. Let me point you to the DreamSpark FAQ: https://www.dreamspark.com/Support/FAQ/Default.aspx. And the DreamSpark License Agreement: https://www.dreamspark.com/licensing/basic-EULA.aspx

Both of these resources cover the answers to your questions and to others under DreamSpark. 

On to your questions:

From the FAQ:

Are there any limitations on the way I use the Microsoft tools I get through DreamSpark? 

You may only use the tools and software from DreamSpark to get ahead in school, develop new skills and take steps in research in science, technology, engineering or mathematics.You can review the license agreement for more details.

I dont see a clause on hosting in the DreamSpark FAQ.  Can you tell me what license agreement you found that on?  Based on clause 4C of the license agreement, which states

c. No commercial use.
    If you use the software to create software programs, you may only commercially use or distribute them upon the purchase of appropriate commercial license(s) for the software. You may however submit software programs that you create using the DreamSpark Subscription software to Microsoft app stores, including for revenue.

You, and customers you develop software for using DreamSpark tools, cannot be used in for-profit endeavors. 

No, developed products cannot be used commercially per clause 4C.

Let me know what other questions you have and please see my question above.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Monday, January 21, 2013 6:14 PM