The slice tool is broken RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am using the slice tool to create multiple 32x32 icons, but sometimes when I export the slices it will instead create 31x30 or 27x30, depeding on the contents of the icon. It seems like the slice tool should be exactly precise in defining the region that should be exported such that I always get the 32x32 area that I expect. I can get this particular problem to work the way I expect by filling the slice area with a fully transparent rectangle, but this is a rather hacky workaround. However, there is a worse problem. If my slice contains an object that hangs slightly over the edge (draw a circle edge to edge with a border), the resultant exported image will actually be *bigger* than the slice size (33x33 or 34x34), and I know of *no* way to work around this. Any tips?
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Mark:

I think the problem is your slice is not a square, so the width and height of the slice output will change automaticaly. If you want to create a slice output like 32X32 or 64X64, you need to ensure your slice is a square.

Thanks, Denny.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 3:37 AM
  • No, I have snap to pixels turned on and can see the dimensions of the slice as exactly 32x32. With the slice layer locked (so I can't accidentally resize the slices), I can make changes to the object layers that will cause the exported slice dimensions to change. That seems broken.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 4:16 PM
  • I think you can change the settings in General->Rectangle antialiasing->Smooth, then export.
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 6:47 AM
  • That setting makes absolutely no sense to me. A slice should be selecting exactly the region that I want exported... not a rough/flexible area. And on top of that the "crisp" setting would make more sense than "smooth".
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:33 PM

• Somebody please help me out here. I am having the same exact problem.

The object widths and heights are 144x144. But it creates a slice of size 145x144. I have made this 100% sure that the objects are not going beyond 144. How do fix it?

I think the slice is created assuming the anti-aliasing is ON. But I don't want any anti-aliasing at all.

Why is such simple thing so complicated in Expression? Please allow me to use this tool.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 10:54 AM
  • Have you tried un-checking the antialias checkbox in the Export dialog box? This will cause Design to not take anti-aliasing into account when you export the image.

Annie
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 7:43 PM
  • I beg for help over here as it is urgent.

Please look at this picture:

www.conceptworld.com/Content/Shared/ExpressionSliceBug.JPG

I have deselected Anti-Alias but still the width calculated is 145x144.

The rectangle is exactly 144x144. So there is  no question of rounding off.

The line over it exactly 144 width starting horizontally from rectangle.

I want to export only 144x144.

Please help.
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 3:23 PM
  • One of the solutions to this issue is given here by Elena Malnati on 2/3/2011:

http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en/design/thread/d375da18-4c80-4ee7-ac02-f4f1732fa3cc

Thanks Elena.

Friday, February 4, 2011 6:40 AM
  • Ummm ... OK. Yeah, still... not obvious for all users , shouldn't this have been fixed / made user friendly!

Respectfully.

Hope this helps, Webdroid
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 2:25 PM