none
Expression Web 4 w/ Win. 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I got a new 'Windows 10' computer this weekend, and installed "Microsoft Expression Web" - which I have always used to edit/build my web sites (ftp).  EXpression installed smoothly, but I can't login to Awardspace to upload via ftp.

- I can't login via Expression on my new Win. 10 - Awardspace is just a simple ftp upload.  But, I 'can' successfully-login with my old PC (Win 8) - Is there some Frontpage-type setting that I could have forgotten to disable in Expression?

- Expression installed smoothly on Win. 10, but I can't login to Awardspace to edit my website.   I think it's Windows 10's fault, because I have no problem login in with my Windows 8 computer. 

- I can still edit my website on my old computer (Win. 8).  I'm sure that the prob.s with the settings on Expression on the new computer, but I have no idea where to start.

- Has anyone experienced this with windows 10?  Or, I may be just running Expression with the wrong settings (the ftp thing), but I have no idea where to start.  Could I get some help? 

Thanks, I will really appreciate it I get a response!   
    Pete.

Saturday, June 25, 2016 7:41 AM

All replies

• First, you have me confused: are you using FrontPage Server Extensions, or not?

If you are (and I would be surprised - few hosts support them anymore), then you would connect using FPSE, not FTP.

If you are not, the work flow is:  Edit your site on your local PC, test those changes by previewing in browsers, then when you are happy with your changes, publish them by connecting via FTP to do so.  Is this what you are talking about?

You would not typically log into your site via FTP to edit it.  That is not really editing the site on the server, but copying files down to your PC to edit them in a temporary location, then publishing them back up (FTP = file transfer protocol).  Editing "live" is not recommended for two reasons:  any errors are live, instantly, on the site, until you notice them and correct them, and this work flow doesn't keep a copy of your site on your PC, which is a safe backup in case of hosting issues.

Can you clarify what you are trying to do?

(I have three computers running Win 10, and EW has no problem connecting via FTP to any of my sites on those computers.)

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - ASP.NET applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Sunday, June 26, 2016 1:19 AM
    Saturday, June 25, 2016 7:26 PM
  • First note that Expression Web supports editing pages live, where they are saved back to the web site immediately and can be viewed from the site nearly immediately. It is good for small changes. I think that Expression Web will ask you which you want to use.

People often say "can't" without specifics. You will need to provide specifics. What have you done and what is the result? Are you getting an error message or something else? If an error message, then what is it? For one thing, if you are using "File" | "Open" then it is necessary for you to say that.

Generally, you just need to have the correct address, userid and password. Probably one of them are incorrect.

This question should have been posted somewhere; it is not a programming question so the MSDN forums are not the proper place.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Saturday, June 25, 2016 8:59 PM
  • it's as simple as this: 

I'm trying to edit my website.

- on my new laptop (win. 10) I 'can not' login and edit create files/folders, but I 'can' create/edit files/folders on my old PC (Win. 8) - using the same UN and PW. 

I'm just wondering if Expression is not compatible with windows 10 - or, whether-or-not have to make a change to some setting to allow Expression to use ftp. 

I just need to use ftp only, and no Frontpage server-extensions.  Just ftp.

Thanks for your help!
    Sunday, June 26, 2016 2:43 AM
  • You need to be more specific than "I 'can not' login".

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sunday, June 26, 2016 3:54 AM
  • Kathy answered your question and also gave you good advice.  EW is compatible with Windows 10. And it is a bad idea to edit files by opening your live site.

It's hard to say why you can't connect via ftp with EW.

It can't hurt anything to try connecting via ftp with the (excellent and free) ftp program Filezilla and see what happens -- could give you a clue what is wrong.

And if you do succeed, then do as Kathy said: download all your site files into a folder on your local pc, and then open the local site with EW to work on your site and make any changes.  Then after everything works locally, ftp the changed files back to your live website.

ClarkNK AKA HomePage Doctor
    Database Tutorials Using ASP.NET Controls

Sunday, June 26, 2016 11:43 AM
  • And it is a bad idea to edit files by opening your live site.

I disagree. If that should never be done then it should not allow it.

Note that I totally understand the concept of production systems. I understand about deployment (promotion) of applications. I have written a couple of promotion systems. I agree that it is stupid to change production software directly without testing and some type of change control. Some web sites however are more like "Blogs" and that is immensely different. So it depends.

download all your site files into a folder on your local pc, and then open the local site with EW to work on your site and make any changes.  Then after everything works locally, ftp the changed files back to your live website.

Based on my experience, that is dangerous. I really messed up my site doing that. It is difficult to figure out how to do that in Expressions Web. See my article Opening a web site in Microsoft Expressions Web 4 for Local Editing describing what I tried to do. Perhaps the only problem is that I might have used different URLs to download and upload. So now I use Visual Studio to edit my web sites and upload using Web deploy or FTP.

As I said, this question is not a programming question. Programmers use Visual Studio to work with web sites locally. We can use Expression Web to edit pages in a VS web site or project.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sunday, June 26, 2016 6:23 PM
  • Based on my experience, that is dangerous. I really messed up my site doing that. 

Just because you had problems does not make the process dangerous. There is no reason why the website should get messed up if things are done properly.

If the OP downloads all the files to his local computer with Filezilla as suggested (or any other ftp client), and then opens the local site with EW, and even if he runs into problems, that would become obvious when previewing the local site in his browser.

At that point he would not ftp those problem files back up to the site, and nothing bad would have happened to his site.

That's the whole point of not editing live, which I am sure you already understand.

Monday, June 27, 2016 12:45 AM
  • Just because you had problems does not make the process dangerous. There is no reason why the website should get messed up if things are done properly.

First I will admit that I exaggerated. I certainly like the idea of editing locally. That is good, certainly conceptually. The problem is that I had problems finding anything describing how to do it and it is too easy to mess up. So my experience is that it is easy to mess up and it was impossible for me to get it right. I could not find the relevant documentation. It is the lack of documentation that makes it dangerous.

If the OP downloads all the files to his local computer with Filezilla as suggested (or any other ftp client), and then opens the local site with EW, and even if he runs into problems, that would become obvious when previewing the local site in his browser.

At that point he would not ftp those problem files back up to the site, and nothing bad would have happened to his site.

I think it would be better to first ask for clarification from the person requesting assistance, which is what I did. It is what a Microsoft representative would typically do.

I assume that the primary purpose of using Filezilla for this is to verify that the correct URL, userid and password is known. Is there any reason you think Filezilla is easier to use for that?

That's the whole point of not editing live, which I am sure you already understand.

No I don't. As I indicated, it depends. It somewhat depends on personal preference. You are totally free to say you think it is a horrible idea but when you insist that you are right and anyone that disagrees is wrong then that is a problem.

Let me clarify to say that kaptatainhook could open the web site for live editing then make a small change then see if the change appears in the site.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Monday, June 27, 2016 1:57 AM
  • I got it working and figured out that the web hosting password was different than the ftp password (they're separate and different things) - we just had a miscommunication about what the prob. was in the first place.  Thank y'all for the help!
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 8:16 PM
  • Yeah, I said "you just need to have the correct address, userid and password".

I have been in your position before. I have had to hunt down userids and passwords and such. I have not been as organized as I should be about things like that. I understand. I know how things like this happen.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 8:46 PM