Future of elevation RRS feed

• Question

• "In future releases, the only way to run an application elevated will be to have a signed application manifest that identifies the privilege level that the application needs."

So does that mean MS will remove the "run as administrator" option in the contextmenu?
    And remove the installer detection heuristics etc?
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 12:32 PM

All replies

• Who can say?  I would imagine 'elevate by request' (right click->'run as admin') won't be going away, though.

However, you shouldn't be reliant on installer detection heuristics hitting or not hitting your exe; use a signed manifest with an appropriate requestedExecutionLevel and you won't have to worry about what may or may not happen in the future.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:05 PM
  • I was wondering whether they'd close those exploits like a local system service elevating your applications for you.
    Because if all that stuff goes away it means I will be forced to use the Windows Installer.
    And no, the problem is not embedding a manifest but getting rid of the elevation prompt.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:26 PM
  • If you're installing stuff, then Windows Installer is by far the best way to go about things. Otherwise it's fairly self-defeating to try and circumvent UAC prompts. It's much better and more reliable to work with UAC, than to jump through hoops trying to ignore it.

Without knowing what you're aiming to acheive, it's difficult to advise on the best solution.

Friday, August 1, 2008 12:46 PM
  • Problem is my application needs to update itself via network, so the way things are with vista atm the administrator has to walk around all workstations and click the uac prompt.
    Friday, August 1, 2008 2:37 PM
  • Windows Installer would obviously be the ideal solution. Failing that, the Task Scheduler is the next best bet. Writing your own service to do it is probably overkill unless you have very specific requirements.

Friday, August 1, 2008 2:41 PM
  • Specific requirement is that the updates should be on-the-fly while the program is still running. Cant wait til next system restart.
    Friday, August 1, 2008 2:49 PM
  • In that case I'd probably opt for a per-user installation into an individual's appdata folder, that way you avoid any possible Fast User Switching conflicts into the bargain.

Friday, August 1, 2008 2:53 PM
  •  AndyCadley wrote:

In that case I'd probably opt for a per-user installation into an individual's appdata folder, that way you avoid any possible Fast User Switching conflicts into the bargain.

Then every user will have an individual version and each time a different user logs in his program will update again.

I know that I can emulate windows XP by putting the application into USERS/PUBLIC. But then I would lose all benefits of vista.
    Friday, August 8, 2008 10:02 AM
  • Hello guy's:

This thread shall be changed to "Discussion".

Have a nice day...

Best regards,
    Fisnik
    Coder24.com
    • Proposed as answer by Fisnik Hasani Tuesday, October 6, 2009 5:41 AM
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Change this thread to "Discussion" NOW!

Coder24.com
    Friday, November 13, 2009 8:42 PM
    Coder24.com
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 10:12 AM

Coder24.com
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 10:13 AM
  • CHANGE THIS THREAD TO "DISCUSSION" NOW!

Coder24.com
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 2:48 PM
  • CHANGE THIS THREAD TO "DISCUSSION" NOW!
    Coder24.com
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 2:48 PM