none
Hyper-Z beta known to be unstable? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Just a question Wink We run multiple Server 2008 copies on multiple systems, but only one of them is a Hyper-Z enabled instance.

This one server is running an AMD AM2 X2 5000+ with ECC memory on a M2A-VM motherboard. We have some of them in use as workstations, and they run stable.

Of all the longhorn versions we have installed, this one is the only one doing "irregular resets".

Now, I am not complaining about that - this IS a beta on a beta os, and we are all just doing testing. I am merely trying to nail down the culprit - is it the OS / BIOS that is not up to the stand, does this particular machine have an issue...

...or is the Hyper-Z just known to be unstable like that at the moment, in which case I cjust close the case and we live with it.

We dont have the hardware spare at the moment to put up another Hyper-Z server.... but we may next week.

So, do other people experience this kind of instability?

Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:20 AM

Answers

•  

I have a great install running on a Gigabyte Mainboard with Intel E6600 and both the Host OS and the two VM's running have not missed a beat for the past 16 days that the VM's have been online and I am very impressed at the stability.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:02 PM

All replies

•  

I have a great install running on a Gigabyte Mainboard with Intel E6600 and both the Host OS and the two VM's running have not missed a beat for the past 16 days that the VM's have been online and I am very impressed at the stability.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:02 PM
  • So it is not to be expected. Great. Now I have to start looking for the cause. Just to give you a comparison, I had yesterday a server stability index of 5.3, based on a total of 5 "OS stopped working" events (a.k.a. blue screen). In one day.

That is quite a difference.

4 of the events are identical.Could be a driver not up to the standard, or a the fact that the bios is not too good ;(

I get another similar machine online next week, then I can see whether it was the hardware. Too bad Wink

Friday, January 18, 2008 6:44 AM