none
Don't see 2003 PIA Listed in Prerequisites RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to deploy an Outlook 2003 add-in using VS2005. I've been reading the whitepapers about Deployment Solutions and I am hitting a wall when I need to add in the prerequisites.

When I go to the Setup project of my Solution, I do not see the Microsoft Office 2003 Primary Interop Assemblies listed. The only ones I do see are:

Microsoft Data Access Components 2.8 

.Net Framework 2.0 

Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 2.0 

Microsoft Visual J# .NET Redistributable Package 2.0 

Microsoft Visual Studio 2004 Report Viewer 

Visual C++ Runtime Libraries (x86) 

Windows Installer 2.0 

Windows Installer 3.1 

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition

Does anyone have some suggestions of how they can be added?

I do have VS2008, but I am hitting the same issue. If using VS2008 will help in any way, please let me know.

Thank you for the help.

-Gumbatman

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:29 PM

Answers

• hi G,

on the other computer with C++ installed, did you run the commands in a Visual Studio command prompt? 

Start --> All Programs --> Visual Studio --> Visual Studio Tools --> Visual Studio command prompt

m.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:05 PM

All replies

• hi Gumbatman,

the Office PIAs don't appear in the Prerequisites Dialog Box by default.  you can add them yourself by following the instructions in Updated VSTO 2005SE deployment article.

the VSTO2005 SE Windows Installer deployment article has been updated in this location:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=57779  

you'll want to read the sections called Preparing the Office Component Check and Preparing for the 2003 Release of Office.

even if you went to VS2008, the 2003 PIAs are not available by default.  the 2007 PIAs are not available by default until VS2008 SP1.

these steps can be cumbersome, but you only have to do it once.

m.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 7:38 PM
  • Mary Lee,

Thank you for the links and great information.

However, when I try and compile the CPP file, I am getting the following error, C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h'

I've been searching for solutions to that issue, but not being a C++ programmer, I am having quite some difficulty resolving it.

Thank you for the help.

G

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:45 PM
  • hi G,

did you do the "default" install for VS, or did you select only the programming language that you're using?

the default install also includes the VC++ components (compiler and libraries).  you can modify your VS setup to install those.

m.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:00 PM
  • Mary Lee,

I only selected the languages that I am using, no C++. However, I tried it on another computer with C++ and received similair errors.

Is there anywhere I can download the compiled EXE?

Thank you.

G

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:43 PM
  • hi G,

on the other computer with C++ installed, did you run the commands in a Visual Studio command prompt? 

Start --> All Programs --> Visual Studio --> Visual Studio Tools --> Visual Studio command prompt

m.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:05 PM
  • Mary Lee,

It took some time and me walking slowly through the steps again, but I finally got it to work! THank you for your help and patience. If you hadn't come back to me with the answers above, I would never have been able to figure it out. Specifically, I wasn't opening the Visual Studio command prompt, like it said in the instructions .

But now, I'm on to a new (semi-related) issue... time for a new thread.

Thanks for all your help.

-Gumbatman

Friday, September 19, 2008 6:46 PM