none
Save/Archive current web based Access Program into a seperate/independent non-web based database RRS feed

• Question

• I have a web based Access program with multiple users that my farm uses on a daily basis for all activities performed.  The program is getting very large and slowing a bit.  What I would like to do is save information (utilizing the same format/design that was created for my current web based Access database) based upon different years and archive/save this information in separate independent Access databases that no longer have any relation or ties to the web based program.  In other words I would like to save the years 2012, 2013, 2014 separate from one another and archive this information in separate databases for each year because I really do not need this information in my current web based Access program but would like to keep all the records stored in a database on my hard drive. I have tried the 'save as' function and the back up option as well, but every time I create a 'back up' version of Access when I make changes to the program that I just saved (the non-web based program) and I reopen my web based Access database you can see the changes I made in the non-web based back up version.  To make a long story short, I would like to create annual archive databases that are completely independent (so I can make changes to these databases without effecting the web based database) of the web based Access database program.  Thank you very much for reading this and any help you can give me.

Ryan

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 4:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Ryan,

Based on your description, it seems you want to back up the data for years, am I right? I am not sure the version of your access web app, I assume you are using Access 2013 web app, I suggest you make external connections to an

Access web app, you could get all of the date from the external connections. When you use Access 2013 to create a web app on SharePoint, Access Services will create a SQL Server or SQL Azure database that houses all of your Access objects.

You could refer the link below for details about this.
    # How to: Make external connections to an Access Web App
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/the_microsoft_access_support_team_blog/archive/2014/03/24/how-to-make-external-connections-to-an-access-web-app-new.aspx

With an external connection, you could query data from it, and make back up.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 15, 2015 5:12 AM