locked
HTC surround faulty sound another issue RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have just run into another issue with the HTC surround in that I have a class that generates a given frequency
    and I use sample rate of 44100 which works perfectly fine on emulator LG and samsung which it should
    however when I use the HTC it is completely messed up it makes weird tones I  had to change the sample rate to 48000 to get it to work
    the HTC just makes weird tones on other sample rates.
    Unfortunately if I just use 48000 it works on HTC and on everything else it does not

    On top of the soundeffectinstance.volume adjust not working on HTC I am wondering if they are using these faulty drivers or whatever on
    all their HTC wp7 phones.

    I have to now put code in that gets the manufacturer name == HTC  then set to 48000
    then how do I know if newer HTC devices will do same thing

    Any sound experts who can shed some light on this ?



    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:58 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    If you haven't done so already, you might want to review the supported media codecs, and see if changing the file format can make it work consistently across the different phones.

    Which version of the Tools are you using?  Released Tools?  If using Mango Beta, are you compiling for 7.0 or 7.1?

    Thanks,
    Mark
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Hi am using 7.0 and 'dynmamicsoundeffectinstance' I am not using codecs or file formats, this should work just like the soundeffectinstance.volume adjust should work
    but it looks like these are related to the BUG with HTC and the XNA soundeffectinstance class.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:36 PM
  • I'm also having problem with my HTC Radar.  When i try to generate tones using 44100 sample rate, the output is about half as long as it should be when measured.  E.G. if I send a signal that is 28 samples long, I measure the sample rate with an oscilloscope to be only 14 samples long.

    I know this is old but this is one of the first threads that come up on this topic.

    Sunday, August 12, 2012 11:23 PM
  • I know this is old but this is one of the first threads that come up on this topic.

    If I remember correctly the volume bug for the SoundEffectInstance class is due to something in an HTC driver that seems to effect any HTC phone that came out before Mango. The phones that shipped with Mango had a driver that correctly responded to the volume attribute but at the time the pre-mango phones did not receive an updated driver. I've still got a few HTC phones at home so I can check this later on, but I don't think those phones ever received a fix for the issue. 

    As for DynamicSoundEffectInstance my results with that varied by hardware. I ended up sticking with something in the neighborhood of 22KHz since that seemed to be the most reliable sample rate that I could find for the phones that I was using. 


    Joel Ivory Johnson | http://www.j2i.net | Windows Phone Developer MVP
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.

    Monday, August 13, 2012 5:57 PM