none
New VS2010 Install Issue

Question

• Hi! I migrated a VB6 project to VB2008 Express and after updating the code, it is working great. I just upgraded to VS2010 Pro on a new Win 10 machine. I loaded the VB2008 project into VB2010 with the converter wizard. I am having trouble opening the form designer in VB2010. I get the message: ("The editor does not exist for this file type .vb. Please make sure you have the correct editor for file type .vb"). I have imported the settings for VB.NET. All my project files are there, run time code, form designer code, resource files and user settings etc.... I can open all the files in the code editor but not the form designer? This project is rather large with 26 forms. Can someone please help me with this issue? Thanks in advance for any help!
    Tuesday, August 09, 2016 12:14 PM

Answers

• Hi n_DFPCNC,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your description, your issue is more related to the project migration. Since our forum is to discuss the Visual Studio Setup and Installation, I will help you move it to the appropriate forum: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=visualstudiogeneral for dedicated information, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by n_DFPCNC Wednesday, August 10, 2016 2:22 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 3:17 AM

All replies

• Hi n_DFPCNC,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your description, your issue is more related to the project migration. Since our forum is to discuss the Visual Studio Setup and Installation, I will help you move it to the appropriate forum: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=visualstudiogeneral for dedicated information, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by n_DFPCNC Wednesday, August 10, 2016 2:22 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 3:17 AM
  • Hi n_DFPCNC,

VB 6 is an old version of Visual Studio which we don't support it now. And for your issue. It seems like the old VB6 project was not compatible with the VS2010.

Since the project was created in VB6. There might be some configurations or setting which were not supported in VS2010.

If you want to use this VB6 project in your VS2010. The best workaround I suggest you could create a new project and copy files and source codes from your old VB6 project to the new created project in VS2010.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, August 11, 2016 1:24 AM