none
Verify the Installation of the Workflow Manager 1.0 on Dev Single Server SharePoint Farm RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Hopefully this will be very simple to answer - could someone quickly verify these steps

1) for a quick demo I installed the Workflow Manger via the Web Installer interface 

2)I used a domain account Account (sp_install) for the service account which  I had previously used to Install SharePoint 2013 - it is added to the local administrators group

3) Ran through the installation and I see both the Workflow Manager web site and all required databases are created 

4) changed the binding in IIS to the fixed ip address of the server .  - had issues with SharePoint hosted apps in the past if I Didn't bind to the fixed ip address

browse the http://ip_address:12291

I am not lable ogin with the service account or indeed any other account I have tried. I suspect I need to change my service account one a domain account added to Built in - none of the examples I have seen require users to login. when verifying the W/F manager service.  

Ok lets see that status with the supplied PowerShell commands - hmmm 

Until this verified I can't create my service application. ;-(

Daniel 

Freelance consultant

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 2:51 PM

All replies

• check this series for complete steps

http://www.harbar.net/articles/wfm1.aspx

Kind Regards, John Naguib Technical Consultant/Architect MCITP, MCPD, MCTS, MCT, TOGAF 9 Foundation

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 5:24 PM
  • John

Thanks for the Article .. I have met Spence a couple of times and he is very knowledgeable. 

Anyway,a lot of the article does not apply. However the detail on Configuration User and run as user is interesting. will check to tomorrow but My config user set up the SharePoint farm so meets the criteria Spence mentions inc Local Farm Admin - also the the Run As user gets the permissions it needs during the install. Hence, it doesn't look likely to be a permissions thing.

Be good to get this working tomorrow.

Daniel

Freelance consultant

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 7:41 PM
  • Hi

I ran the installation on a win2012r2 Single server vm running on my laptop whilst logged on as domain\administrator.

• Set Account: Administrator 
    • RunAs   : Administrator  

This farm uses the same build script as my client's dev machine.

browsed http://localhost:12291  without any issues. 

SecurityConfigurations>

-<ScopedSecurityConfiguration i:type="WindowsSecurityConfiguration">

<Name>Microsoft.Workflow.Management.Security.WindowsSecurityConfiguration</Name>

<WorkflowAdminGroupName>BUILTIN\Administrators</WorkflowAdminGroupName>

</ScopedSecurityConfiguration>

</SecurityConfigurations>

I suspect I haven't used the correct setup / runas account on my client's machine. Spence indicates the setup must be a local admin and not a domain admin. However, looking at

Builtin Administrators verses Local Administrators

It would seem I need to have my account added to the AD group Builtin\administrators

Freelance consultant

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 10:01 AM
  • Hi

This is our final  dev setup ( which I posted from my Yammer post)  we came up with since Builtin\administators is treated a bit like Fort Knox here. At the end of the day Builtin is just container and Builtin\administrators seems to be default group if you run the Default Workflow Manager Install and your logged on as domain admin. As you will see below you can define your own group:

Setup account: sp_install which is a local Admin on multiserver farm but a domain admin on my "all in server" 
    Server roles sysadmin, dbcreator

Service Account: SP_WorkflowManager, Domain Account 
    Server Roles, dbcreator, sysadmin ( although this what we did, I suspect both are overkill)

Workflow Administrators: SharePointAdmin AD security group ( this can be any name you like)
    Add sp_install , sp_workflowmanager , and any desired accounts to the SharePointAdmin group 

1. Logged in as the setup account run web installer as the administrator, I did this to make sure it had the right SQL permissions.
    2. Install Workflow Manger 1.0 DO NOT CONFIGURE at this point.
    3. Reboot your server.
    4. Install CUs.
    5. Run Workflow Manager Configuration and use custom installation :
    6. Workflow Manager Configuration
    • Use DOMAIN\SP_WorkflowManager as service account
    • Enter your Certificate Key
    • Allow workflow management over HTTP on this computer ( Note this a dev Workflow Manager Farm)
    • Set the DOMAIN\SharePointAdmin as the Workflow Administrators Group

7. Service Bus Configuration
    • Use the same service account as credentials as provided for Workflow Manager
    • Use the same certificate generation key as provided by Workflow Manage
    • Run your HTTP Test - should look good!

Freelance consultant

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:01 PM