none
Error in SQL Server 2008 - When expanding Jobs in SQL Server Agent "dbo.SQLAGENT_SUSER_SNAME RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I'm trying to expand the jobs under the SQL Server Agent but I'm getting this error on one of our older boxes. Does anyone know what this is and how it could be fixed? This is the error code. 

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ------------------------------

Failed to retrieve data for this request. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&LinkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Cannot find either column "dbo" or the user-defined function or aggregate "dbo.SQLAGENT_SUSER_SNAME", or the name is ambiguous. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 4121)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&ProdVer=10.50.2550&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=4121&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

• Moved by Tom Phillips Wednesday, November 6, 2019 1:07 PM SSMS error
    Monday, November 4, 2019 10:03 PM

All replies

• Hi , 

Could you please share us your script and some information about dbo.SQLAGENT_SUSER_SNAME?

I find a similar issue and possible solutions. Please check .

if you have Table-Valued Functions item not Scalar-Valued Functions, you have to use this formula:

Select * from Table-Valued Function.

By the way, I will advice you to update your SQL Server .Microsoft will no longer release security updates for any version of SQL Server 2008. Don't let your infrastructure and applications go unprotected. Also , we will not provide service for SQL Server 2008. 

Best Regards,

Rachel 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 3:11 AM
  • I would guess on one of the two below. In any case, start by checking of there is a system scalar function in msdb with this name.

You are using a new SSMS and hit an issue with your older SQL Server. I.e., SSMS is trying to use a function which didn't exist in 2008. I.e., one could call this a bug in SSMS. Whether MS would react on this, I can't say, since 2008 isn't supported anymore.

Or, somebody deleted this function on your SQL server in the msdb database. Check this against some other SQL server 2008 and see if the function exists on this SQL server.

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP (Web Blog)

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 8:19 AM
  • It looks like it's missing, so is the dbo.sqlagent_suser_sid. Is there any way to create these 2 functions back to the msdb db?
    Tuesday, November 5, 2019 2:35 PM
  • So did you check on an existing SQL server of that same version, that the function ins supposed to be there in the first place? Just to verify that this function is supposed to be there?

What version of SQL Server do you connect to? (I assumed 2008 in an earlier post, based on Rachel's earlier reply. Perhaps incorrectly.)

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP (Web Blog)

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 3:34 PM