none
Difference between Winforms LocalReport and Webforms LocalReport object RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to reporting.

I have noticed that there is a LocalReport class in Winforms as well as Webforms namespaces. I am currently using a LocalReport object to generate reports in pdf format in the background. In such a case, does it make a difference using the winforms or the webforms version? Is a particular version faster than the other or supports some form of rdlc caching that would improve performance?

Thanks,

Mayur

Monday, April 30, 2007 7:14 AM

Answers

• It doesn't make much difference.  When used standalone, the two LocalReport objects are virtually identical.  There are some slight differences in the types of data sources that can be provided to each one.  Winforms, for example, allows a System.Windows.Forms.BindingSource, where webforms allows System.Web.UI.IDataSource.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 8:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think the speed realy depends on what kind of hardware setup you have. In case of Webforms, it all depends on webserver resources. If you are using WinForms then speed depends on avaialbes local resoruces. I dont belive you will just pick win or web client because PDF generation will be faster on one paticular client. Frankly, speed wise you should not see much of a difference, however, in case of web client, network bandwidth etc. can cause some overhead.

My 2 cents...

Asif

Monday, April 30, 2007 9:10 PM
  • It doesn't make much difference.  When used standalone, the two LocalReport objects are virtually identical.  There are some slight differences in the types of data sources that can be provided to each one.  Winforms, for example, allows a System.Windows.Forms.BindingSource, where webforms allows System.Web.UI.IDataSource.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 8:21 PM