Microsoft.VisualStudio.VCProjectEngine not part of Visual Studio 2010 SDK? RRS feed

• Question

• My setup: I am using Windows 7 (32-bit) and Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate.

I downloaded Visual Studio 2010 SDK from this Web page.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=47305cf4-2bea-43c0-91cd-1b853602dcc5&displaylang=en

I installed the product to completion and saw no errors. After firing up Visual Studo, I attempted to add a reference to the Microsoft.VisualStudio.VCProjectEngine assembly. However, in the Add Reference window, if I look at the .NET tab (sorted by Component Name), I do not see Microsoft.VisualStudio.VCProjectEngine.

According to the below blog post by the Visual Studio team, this assembly is still the way to do C++ automation.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2010/05/26/programmatically-adding-removing-querying-vc-build-customizations.aspx

Saturday, July 3, 2010 1:39 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Microsoft.VisualStudio.VCProjectEngine is a part of automation extensibility, it does not ship with SDK, but Visual studio.

The Microsoft.VisualStudio.VCProjectEngine is in <program Files>\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies.

To view this assembly in add reference dialog, you must set Target Framework to 4.0, right click your project node, click “Properties”, click “Application” tab, set the target framework to .net framework 4.

Thanks

Chao

• Marked as answer by DownLow Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:52 PM
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 9:52 AM

All replies

• just because it doesnt show up in the add reference tab doesnt mean it doesnt exist. I belive this particular dll exists in %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 2010\Common7\IDE\Extensions, I could be wrong though. In case I am, just do a search under %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 2010\Common7\IDE\ for Microsoft.VisualStudio.VCProjectEngine.dll, its in there somewhere.

Sunday, July 4, 2010 6:10 AM
  • Hello,

Microsoft.VisualStudio.VCProjectEngine is a part of automation extensibility, it does not ship with SDK, but Visual studio.

The Microsoft.VisualStudio.VCProjectEngine is in <program Files>\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies.

To view this assembly in add reference dialog, you must set Target Framework to 4.0, right click your project node, click “Properties”, click “Application” tab, set the target framework to .net framework 4.

Thanks

Chao

• Marked as answer by DownLow Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:52 PM
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 9:52 AM
  • Thank you both for your swift (and accurate) replies!
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:53 PM