none
Format of a PropertyBlob RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone describe the format of a PropertyBlob field, seen in Exchange 2013 EDBs, that starts with the 4 byte signature "ProP"?  Thanks.
    Tuesday, August 5, 2014 6:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Phillip, the EDB file format is undocumented and currently there are no plans to publish it. Please see the following thread that discusses this for more information.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7c611c22-36d7-44d4-aa6d-02ee6f6e24c4/interact-directly-with-edb-files?forum=os_exchangeprotocols

You can make certain assumptions about the value(s) stored in the EDB file based on the protocol documentation. However, there is no guarantee that the format or value of a property will be stored in the same format as it is when sent over the wire.

Please note that interacting directly with and/or modifying the EDB file could cause severe corruption and is not recommended or supported.

I was not able to find anything in the Exchange Server protocol documentation about a 'PropertyBlob' field. It is likely a serialized collection of properties compressed into a custom format for storage purposes (or something along those lines) and should be considered opaque.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Friday, August 15, 2014 5:13 PM

All replies

• Hi StarShock,

Thank you for contacting us.  A colleague will contact you soon to investigate this issue.

Regards,

Mark Miller | Microsoft Open Specifications Team

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 1:12 AM
  • Thanks, that would be greatly appreciated.
    Sunday, August 10, 2014 8:16 PM
  • Hi Phillip, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 6:27 PM
  • Thanks; any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 4:52 PM
  • Hi Phillip, the EDB file format is undocumented and currently there are no plans to publish it. Please see the following thread that discusses this for more information.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7c611c22-36d7-44d4-aa6d-02ee6f6e24c4/interact-directly-with-edb-files?forum=os_exchangeprotocols

You can make certain assumptions about the value(s) stored in the EDB file based on the protocol documentation. However, there is no guarantee that the format or value of a property will be stored in the same format as it is when sent over the wire.

Please note that interacting directly with and/or modifying the EDB file could cause severe corruption and is not recommended or supported.

I was not able to find anything in the Exchange Server protocol documentation about a 'PropertyBlob' field. It is likely a serialized collection of properties compressed into a custom format for storage purposes (or something along those lines) and should be considered opaque.

Friday, August 15, 2014 5:13 PM
  • Thanks.  Please let me know if Microsoft ever decides to release documentation for the EDB file format and/or the format of blob fields and whatnot in an Exchange mailbox EDB.
    Friday, August 15, 2014 5:23 PM