none
How dp I use .NET Framework RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

There are many namespaces / classes in dot net framework library.

How do I know given a task as to which class / method should be used (other than going to google) and finding out? using the Visual studio tools

regards

Manoj

Monday, October 1, 2018 8:29 AM

Answers

• In the beginning it's more or less just finding most common namespaces and the classes below them. A decent place to start is here.

Make sure to learn about classes right in the beginning and don't try to guess.

Then you may want to know more about them or find examples e.g. I want to learn LINQ, search for LINQ and something like this will come up.

There will be times when you need to not simply evaluate one link but many e.g. working with C# and SQL-Server for example, there are many ways to work with data such as with a TableAdapter, DataAdapter, manage data provider or Entity Framework. In such cases don't simply pick what looks easy as many times the easy methods become harder as your task increase in difficulty.

For a book I highly recommend C# in a Nutshell. When we get novice developers we have them read this book along with taking a week long class with a local college who excels at teaching C#.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Monday, October 1, 2018 1:36 PM
  • In addition to what the others have said I'd rely on Intellisense and Intellicode. If you want to work with Pdf then type it in and let Intellisense tell you what is available and/or show you some common options. Intellicode will use AI to analyze your code and help provide additional information.

If you get nothing from either of these then google "term" and C#. Also the MS docs (https://docs.microsoft.com) has search functionality but you really need to know what area to narrow down to.

Michael Taylor http://www.michaeltaylorp3.net

Monday, October 1, 2018 3:29 PM
  • Hi Manoj Gokhale,

It depends on your persona. Some people like the book approach - find something and start reading.

I would suggest that you could pick a technology (for example Winforms) and a language (usually C# or VB) and start trying things. When you get stuck, or unsure, look here (search first), then ask.

Best regards,

Zhanglong

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 2:48 AM

All replies

• i think that you need some useful books:

https://uloz.to/!ueleGJwbLrjd/c-sharp-and-dot-net-wpf-zip

J.

(how to download ? top right switch to english and click to SlowDownload + captcha, 300kbps down speed limit)
    • Edited by Jerry.Mouse Monday, October 1, 2018 2:30 PM update
    Monday, October 1, 2018 9:01 AM
  • Hello,

> How do I know

You shell start STUDY. 

The rest depends on how quickly you can learn all required thinks.

Sincerely, Highly skilled coding monkey.

Monday, October 1, 2018 9:04 AM
  • In the beginning it's more or less just finding most common namespaces and the classes below them. A decent place to start is here.

Make sure to learn about classes right in the beginning and don't try to guess.

Then you may want to know more about them or find examples e.g. I want to learn LINQ, search for LINQ and something like this will come up.

There will be times when you need to not simply evaluate one link but many e.g. working with C# and SQL-Server for example, there are many ways to work with data such as with a TableAdapter, DataAdapter, manage data provider or Entity Framework. In such cases don't simply pick what looks easy as many times the easy methods become harder as your task increase in difficulty.

For a book I highly recommend C# in a Nutshell. When we get novice developers we have them read this book along with taking a week long class with a local college who excels at teaching C#.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Monday, October 1, 2018 1:36 PM
  • In addition to what the others have said I'd rely on Intellisense and Intellicode. If you want to work with Pdf then type it in and let Intellisense tell you what is available and/or show you some common options. Intellicode will use AI to analyze your code and help provide additional information.

If you get nothing from either of these then google "term" and C#. Also the MS docs (https://docs.microsoft.com) has search functionality but you really need to know what area to narrow down to.

Michael Taylor http://www.michaeltaylorp3.net

Monday, October 1, 2018 3:29 PM
  • Hi Manoj Gokhale,

It depends on your persona. Some people like the book approach - find something and start reading.

I would suggest that you could pick a technology (for example Winforms) and a language (usually C# or VB) and start trying things. When you get stuck, or unsure, look here (search first), then ask.

Best regards,

Zhanglong

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 2:48 AM