none
WORD 2010 - Do you also want to save changes to the document template RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have noticed that our newly created .dotx templates - which do not have any code in them whatsoever, but do have the option "Add to quick style list" selected on a number of styles within the template - are now prompting us to save changes to the template when any changes are made to the document that have these templates attached.

The funny thing is (or maybe not funny) - if we have our custom wordaddin loaded, we never get prompted - which is what we want.  So Im assuming we manage to override this setting somewhere.  However we we remove our addin or it doesnt get loaded, and we open a document from the document management system that refers to one of these templates, then we get prompted to save changes to the document template.  This is then followed by a further message You have modified styles, building blocks (such as cover pages or headers) or other content that is stored in xxxx.  Do you wish to save changes to xxxx? (where xxxx is the template name)

I know it thinks the template has been modified, but I cannot see why it thinks this as the document is just opened - a couple of letters are types in, then the save button is selected.  As mentioned we removed our custom addins just incase - but these are nothing to do with the issue as we found out and actually mask it.

Has anyone come across this and know how to get around it?  I was wondering whether it was due to the fact that we have the check box "Add to quick style list" selected and for some reason it thinks it needs to save it everytime?

This issue has me completely stumped and Im grateful for any information you can provide to help.

Many thanks

anna

Anna

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Bruce,

You suggestion to look at COM addins was the key.  We have found that a third party COM-Addin is causing our issue.  We have now logged the issue with the supplier and hope to get a patch soon.

Many thanks for your help on this.

anna

Anna

• Marked as answer by AnnaMossity Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:09 AM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:29 AM

All replies

• Sorry one extra piece of information - if Word is already launched - you never get the prompt.  If you choose to open the document from Outlook the prompt occurs.

Anna

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:24 PM
  • Hi Anna,

Thank you for posting.

After reading your post, I think the following articles can help you:

You are prompted to save the changes to the global template every time that you exit Word 2007 or Word 2010

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918064
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-word/do-you-also-want-to-save-changes-to-the-document/80ae2df3-d875-4dfa-8843-312a1a6241c9

You can try the workarounds described in the kb article to resolve the problem.

Hope this can help you and just feel free to follow up after you have tried.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:30 AM
  • Hi Bruce,

Many thanks for responding.

I had come across these articles but it doesnt seem to apply unfortunately.  The other strange thing we have noticed yesterday is that some accounts work.  It is as if something has been put in the profile at some point which makes word believe the templates need updating.  We have proved that if we blast the profile away, we no longer get prompted.  So we suspect that one of the addins has caused this previously but we dont know how or where or why its set some setting somewhere.  However this is not the case on citrix - however citrix never works the same!.  So its a mix bag of scenerios!  It would be good to get to the bottom of this before we rollout our 2010 implementation.

Any further suggestions you may have are gratefully received :)

Thank you for all your help.

anna

Anna

Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:47 AM
  • Anna, from that kb article, it mentions the possible cause of the problem:

1.The Prompt before saving Normal template option is turned on.

2.An add-in or a macro that  is  changing  the global  template  is installed on the computer. For example, this  issue  may occur the following add-in is installed on the computer:

• Stamps.com Internet postage

An add-in  may add one or more of the following items to the  computer:

• A WLL file
    • A template
    • A COM add-in
    • An automatic macro
    • The computer is infected with a macro virus that changes the global template (Normal.dotm).

I also think your problem is most probably be caused by your add-in.

Can you describe what is the function of your Add-in and show me the reproducible steps list? I will try to test to see whether I can reprduce the scenario on my side.

In addition, have you tried turn off the option? Does it work for you?

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]

Friday, February 24, 2012 3:11 AM
  • Anna,how about the problem on your side? Does the suggestion help you? If you still show any concern on the problem, just feel free to let us know.
    Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:30 AM
  • Hi Bruce,

You suggestion to look at COM addins was the key.  We have found that a third party COM-Addin is causing our issue.  We have now logged the issue with the supplier and hope to get a patch soon.

Many thanks for your help on this.

anna

Anna

• Marked as answer by AnnaMossity Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:09 AM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:29 AM
  • Hi Bruce,

I am also facing the same problem. I have developed a Com Add-in for MS Word  version 2003/2007/2010. I have a template file 'abc.dotx' and if i open this file when My Add-in is installed on my machine and add some text to this file and try to close this document, I am getting a message box pop-up "Do you want to save changes you made to Document1" if i choose 'Don't Save' , i will be getting another pop-up message "You have modified styles, building blocks(such as cover page or header), or other content that is stored in abc.Do you want to save changes to abc?" .  I wont get the second pop-up message if My Add-in is not installed.

Now, i want to keep MyAdd-in installed in my machine and i have to suppress the second pop-up message. Please let me know how i can do this. You were talking about "The Prompt before saving Normal template option is turned on." Is there any registry entries using which we can turn-off the Prompt.

Please help me out to solve this issue. Thanks in advance.

Regards,Chetan.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:16 AM
  • Hi Bruce,

This issue occurs only in Microsoft Word version 2010 and not in 2003 and 2007.

Thanks and Regards,

Chetan.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:17 AM
  • Hi Bruce,

I tried out your suggestion for turning off the Prompt before saving under the Save Options. But it did not help :( .

Please let me know if there is any other way in which we supress the second pop-up message box.Thanks in advance.

Regards,Chetan.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:36 AM
  • Anna and Chetan, I will help you involve others to help you about this problem. There might be some delay about the response. Appreciate your patience.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]

Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:07 AM
  • Hello Bruce,

We are also having the same issue. Because of COM Add-In (of my project), I am seeing this message in Word 2010 tempalte only. But I can not remove my COM Add-In from Word because that is what our project is. Is it possible to avoid this message in Word 2010 templates without removing the Add-Ins? I am sure that there must be some hotfix for the same to resolve this kind of messages, but don't know its place. Kindly treat as urgent as customers won't be buying unless we get rid of this message.

Thanks in Advance!

Thanks, Atit Shah

Thursday, March 1, 2012 3:42 PM
  • Bruce,

There is one more thing I would like to share about this message issue. If 'WINWORD.EXE' process is already running in 'Task Manager', everything is okay and no message has been shown. Or if any other Word document is already opened in the machine then this is absolutely fine.

But if I close all Word instances from my machine or stop 'WINWORD.EXE' service from 'Task Manager', this message starts appearing again.

Just to remind, this appears in Word 2010 Templates only.

This might help you in investigation. 

Thanks, Atit Shah

Thursday, March 1, 2012 7:48 PM
  • Hi Atit,

I found that you have created a new thread which is the same issue:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/worddev/thread/dd2361f6-09a1-4cf4-aa58-3ada0743abf6/#dd2361f6-09a1-4cf4-aa58-3ada0743abf6
    Since this thread is closed by op, we can reply on the thread so that others can also focus on it.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]

Friday, March 2, 2012 4:51 AM