none
DWT: Removing Circular link, when updating all pages via Format menu RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

First quick Background.
    I have a DWT site. I have the master dwt. I also still have for safe keeping from when I built the site, an additional "master original dwt file. This one is no longer important. And all needed today is the master dwt

My problem at hand.
    Everytime I like to use Format menu > Dynamic Web Template > Update all pages, I get a error pop-up dialog saying this:

”You have a circular link in the Dynamic Web Template with file:..... Remove the circular link and then try again”

Any tip and knowledge on how to solve this?

Thanks in advance

S

• Edited by thecanvas Saturday, March 22, 2014 10:47 AM Spelling
    Saturday, March 22, 2014 10:46 AM

All replies

• I may not understand your problem; it's unclear. Is the problem link in the unneeded master original dwt file? Is it a link to the unneeded file? Is that why you mentioned it? Why don't you just delete the file?

Is it in the master dwt that you're using? If so, just follow the instructions--remove the circular link. Look in code view and EW will probably have highlighted it as an error (I haven't tried this, though).

Things Liberal Arts graduates never like to hear:
    “…which means you are going first in Double Jeopardy.”

Saturday, March 22, 2014 3:40 PM
  • You need to look at the Code for the file the error is pointing you to (I assume that's what the
     ": ....." is supposed to indicate), and at the code for the DWT, and find the problem.

Since we have no visibility into those files, we can't do that for you.  If you publish them somewhere and give us a link, perhaps we could.

Saturday, March 22, 2014 3:47 PM
  • Hi Bill,

Thanks for helping out.
    I have now deleted the "master original dwt" file, and it seems it solved some of the issues. Hopefully all. Like to see how it works out he coming days.

Sorry for any confusion. I woulndt mind posting a printscreen. But for whatever reason Microsoft on this forum, wont allow me to post images and file extensions.

The only part I withhold from posting is the entire search string.

It was not my master dwt file, but rather the master original dwt file the dialog kept saying having a circular error. LIke this: "You have a circular link in the Dynamic Web Template with file:..... Remove the circular link and then try again”.

Now when I removed that file, master original dwt, no pop up dialog pop  up with any error when I go via the Menu>Format> Dynamic...>Update all pages.

Saturday, March 22, 2014 4:56 PM
  • Hi Kathy,

Thanks for helping out. Appreciate yours and Bill´s support.
    It seems now to have been solved. Fingers crossed.

You suggested "You need to look at the Code for the file the error is pointing you to". I was going to try that, but just before that I simply deleted the "master-original. dwt" file. And now there is no error dialog popping up.

Again thanks,

Stefan

Saturday, March 22, 2014 5:07 PM
  • I would still look at the code: if an old DWT was causing problems, there may still be a reference to it inside the page.  You can have multiple DWTs in a site.  It doesn't cause problems if the pages that use a DWT are referencing only the DWT they are actually using.
    Saturday, March 22, 2014 5:41 PM
  • We never--ever--need a print screen (screen shot), They are completely useless in diagnosing a problem.

The code is the problem, and a print screen shows us nothing of the code. It would be like showing your auto mechanic a photo of your car and asking him why it won't start.

That's why the Forum FAQ says to post a link to the problem page.

Things Liberal Arts graduates never like to hear:
    “…which means you are going first in Double Jeopardy.”

Saturday, March 22, 2014 9:51 PM