none
How To Load a Web Image Into a Picturebox In Visual Basic.net? RRS feed

Answers

• How To Load a Web Image Into a Picturebox In Visual Basic.net?

This is one way: I put an image on my site here:

http://www.fls-online.net/VBNet_Forum/IMGP0964.JPG

Now I'll get the stream in a function and return an image:

Option Strict On Option Explicit On Option Infer Off Public Class Form1 Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As System.Object, _ e As System.EventArgs) _ Handles MyBase.Load Const url As String = _ "http://www.fls-online.net/VBNet_Forum/IMGP0964.JPG" With PictureBox1 .SizeMode = PictureBoxSizeMode.Zoom Dim img As Image = GetImageFromURL(url) If img IsNot Nothing Then .Image = img End If End With End Sub Private Function _ GetImageFromURL(ByVal url As String) As Image Dim retVal As Image = Nothing Try If Not String.IsNullOrWhiteSpace(url) Then Dim req As System.Net.WebRequest = System.Net.WebRequest.Create(url.Trim) Using request As System.Net.WebResponse = req.GetResponse Using stream As System.IO.Stream = request.GetResponseStream retVal = New Bitmap(System.Drawing.Image.FromStream(stream)) End Using End Using End If Catch ex As Exception MessageBox.Show(String.Format("An error occurred:{0}{0}{1}", _ vbCrLf, ex.Message), _ "Exception Thrown", _ MessageBoxButtons.OK, _ MessageBoxIcon.Warning) End Try Return retVal End Function End Class

It's not the only way but it's pretty simple.

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Friday, August 25, 2017 4:39 PM

All replies

This is one way: I put an image on my site here:

http://www.fls-online.net/VBNet_Forum/IMGP0964.JPG

Now I'll get the stream in a function and return an image:

Option Strict On Option Explicit On Option Infer Off Public Class Form1 Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As System.Object, _ e As System.EventArgs) _ Handles MyBase.Load Const url As String = _ "http://www.fls-online.net/VBNet_Forum/IMGP0964.JPG" With PictureBox1 .SizeMode = PictureBoxSizeMode.Zoom Dim img As Image = GetImageFromURL(url) If img IsNot Nothing Then .Image = img End If End With End Sub Private Function _ GetImageFromURL(ByVal url As String) As Image Dim retVal As Image = Nothing Try If Not String.IsNullOrWhiteSpace(url) Then Dim req As System.Net.WebRequest = System.Net.WebRequest.Create(url.Trim) Using request As System.Net.WebResponse = req.GetResponse Using stream As System.IO.Stream = request.GetResponseStream retVal = New Bitmap(System.Drawing.Image.FromStream(stream)) End Using End Using End If Catch ex As Exception MessageBox.Show(String.Format("An error occurred:{0}{0}{1}", _ vbCrLf, ex.Message), _ "Exception Thrown", _ MessageBoxButtons.OK, _ MessageBoxIcon.Warning) End Try Return retVal End Function End Class

It's not the only way but it's pretty simple.

Friday, August 25, 2017 4:39 PM

I'd like to show you one other way to do this -- it's a little more involved but you might like to use this way better if the online images are large or if the connection is slow.

As a preface, several years ago when I created the avatar that I'm using, I went through a few test versions of it. This is one of them:

http://www.fls-online.net/VBNet_Forum/Logo_05.png

It's about 25 megs so give it a bit to load (which is my point here, I might add).

With images that are slow to load for whatever reason, did you know that the PictureBox itself has a built-in method?

It's the .LoadAsync method and to do this right, you want to set the .WaitOnLoad property to false and handle the two events that you can subscribe to. I'll do just that in the following.

In my form, I first put a SplitContainer on it and set the split to be horizontal. That's docked full in the form.

In the upper panel (Panel1), I have a PictureBox docked full and in the lower panel (Panel2) I have a ProgressBar docked full:

Now I'll run it and let it load that image asynchronously.

Option Strict On
    Option Explicit On
    Option Infer Off

Public Class Form1
        Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As System.Object, _
                               e As System.EventArgs) _
                               Handles MyBase.Load

Const url As String = _
                "http://www.fls-online.net/VBNet_Forum/IMGP0964.JPG"

Const url2 As String = _
                "http://www.fls-online.net/VBNet_Forum/Logo_05.png"

With ProgressBar1
                .Minimum = 0
                .Maximum = 100
            End With

AddHandler PictureBox1.LoadProgressChanged, AddressOf PictureBox_LoadProgressChanged
            AddHandler PictureBox1.LoadCompleted, AddressOf PictureBox_LoadCompleted

With PictureBox1
                .SizeMode = PictureBoxSizeMode.Zoom
                .WaitOnLoad = False
                .LoadAsync(url2)
            End With

End Sub

Private Sub _
            PictureBox_LoadProgressChanged(sender As Object, _
                                           e As System.ComponentModel.ProgressChangedEventArgs)

With ProgressBar1
                .Value = e.ProgressPercentage
                .Refresh()
            End With

End Sub

Private Sub _
            PictureBox_LoadCompleted(sender As Object, _
                                     e As System.ComponentModel.AsyncCompletedEventArgs)

SplitContainer1.Panel2Collapsed = True

End Sub

Private Function _
            GetImageFromURL(ByVal url As String) As Image

Dim retVal As Image = Nothing

Try
                If Not String.IsNullOrWhiteSpace(url) Then
                    Dim req As System.Net.WebRequest = System.Net.WebRequest.Create(url.Trim)

Using request As System.Net.WebResponse = req.GetResponse
                        Using stream As System.IO.Stream = request.GetResponseStream
                            retVal = New Bitmap(System.Drawing.Image.FromStream(stream))
                        End Using
                    End Using
                End If

Catch ex As Exception
                MessageBox.Show(String.Format("An error occurred:{0}{0}{1}", _
                                              vbCrLf, ex.Message), _
                                              "Exception Thrown", _
                                              MessageBoxButtons.OK, _
                                              MessageBoxIcon.Warning)

End Try

Return retVal

End Function
    End Class

When it first starts, you won't see the image because it's loading, but you will see the progress as it loads:

Once it loads completely, the other event will be raised and with that, I'll collapse that lower panel -- effectively removing the ProgressBar (more like covering it up, actually). Because the PictureBox is set to dock fully, the PictureBox covers up all remnant of the ProgressBar:

Something else to use if the need arises. :)

Friday, August 25, 2017 6:08 PM