Required Attribute in Model RRS feed

• Question

• User1879907140 posted

I'm using EntityFrameworkCore and created models from an existing database. Several of the tables have Required columns, however, when the model was built, the [Required] attribute doesn't appear above the column name and caused the _ValidationScriptsPartail to fail, I had to add it manually.

code generated: 

public partial class Cars
    {
        public int CarId { get; set;}
        public string CarModel { get; set;}
        public string SalesPerson { get; set:}

}

The model and salesperson is a required field in the table,  so I had to add it manually:

public partial class Cars
    {
        public int CarId { get; set;}
        [Required]
        public string CarModel { get; set;}
        [Required]
        public string SalesPerson { get; set:}

}

Is there something I can run to do this automatically? I don't want to add [Required] to 40 or so fields manually. 

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 8:07 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

There are two different types of required.   SQL has the NOT NULL constraint and MVC has input validation.  These are two different things.   I assume you used the Fluent API to set the SQL NOT NULL constraint. which is why you do not have the annotation on the entity properties 

Usually a ViewModel is used in the UI rather than an entity but whatever you choose, Entity or ViewModel, you'll need to add the [Required] attribute to the properties you wish to apply UI validation.  You might be able to scaffold the entities but I'm not sure.

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 8:21 PM
  • User-474980206 posted

if not null columns have a default, then they are scaffolded as not required. if you did not supply a default, then probably, you used fluent api rather than data annotations when you scaffolded. see docs:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/ef/core/managing-schemas/scaffolding?tabs=dotnet-core-cli

-- bruce

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 8:54 PM
  • User1686398519 posted

Hi,GeorgeTheCoder

• EF and ASP.NET MVC are two different things. If you want to use MVC data validation, you still need to add data annotations yourself after you generate the model.
    • I found an extension tool called "Huagati DBML/EDMX Tools", which can meet your needs, you can refer to this link.

Best Regards,

YihuiSun

Thursday, June 11, 2020 10:57 AM
  • User-474980206 posted

The since mvc 4, it has supported data annotations in addition to its own.

Thursday, June 11, 2020 2:28 PM
  • User-857013053 posted

The validation attributes specify behavior that you want to enforce on the model properties they are applied to. The Required attribute indicates that a property must have a value;

Thursday, June 11, 2020 8:58 PM