none
Increment the trace number -xbootmgr RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to get some cold reboot data. I use xbootmgr for these traces.

The problem: in order to get cold boot data i have to do a cold reboot(~plug-off power cable-Ungraceful shutdown). Everytime there is a ungraceful shutdown and windows is powered on, the trace number stays to trace one and does not increment on the next boot(cold reboot). I am guessing there is some sort of boot logging that occurs when we shutdown windows gracefully using a normal shutdown command? does xbootmgr write information somewhere which informs the OS to increment the trace on next boot? It would be very helpful if anybody could help point out what could be this boot feature. i have tried reading the prefetcher files but it's too much information.

Thank you.

Victor

Friday, December 23, 2011 2:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Victor,

I'm note sure if a way exist to run xbootmgr without having a normal shutdown process before.

Best regards

Rainer

RPA
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 2:08 PM
  • Hi Rainer,

Thanks for your reply. 

Would you know what is meant by "Enabled boot logging to <directory:\\boot_BASE+CSWITCH_2_km_premerge.etl>" ? this is written in the xbootmgr log file just before the system does a restart for next trace. I am thinking that this step might be the key to identify how the increment works for next boot? It would be very helpful if you could share some information on this :)

Thank you.

Regards,

Dalvir 

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:16 AM
  • Hi Dalvir,

I had check some older forum information around your wished feature.
    And do some retests as well.

But I see some temporarly registry key which would not apply by "switch power off" because of the windows mechanism to use the HKML\System\CurentControlSet onyl if the shotdown was used in the standard way (without any issues).

So what you can try (and be careful with it) is to check all WPT relatet registry entries. And prepare the HKLM\CCS002 as well / simular. May be you can use this trick to let windows "think" this is allways to do by booting up your windows. May be this can help you to check what's go on.

Best regards

Rainer

RPA
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:23 AM