none
OEMKitlInit failed. What things to do for initial bootup? How to debug OAL? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an intel x86 based platform, with only 1 COM port, and a intel 82579 ethernet controller?

I tried cloning a CEPC BSP and created an OS from it. I assumed that CEPC has generic intel based platform awareness.

I created the image on a pendrive using DiskPrep utility, and booted from pen drive. while loading OS it reboots, repeatedly.

Here is what I could see on hyper term connected to the COM port of the device.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows CE BIOS Bootloader Version 2.2 (Built Apr  7 2009)

INFO: code=0x4.
    Jumping to image (address=0x226E50)

Debug Serial Init

SysInit: GDTBase=84c05000 IDTBase=84c09bc0 KData=84bc1800
    Windows CE Kernel for i486 Built on Dec  6 2011 at 09:35:58
    INFO:OALLogSetZones: dpCurSettings.ulZoneMask: 0xb
    InitKitlNIC: Searching for PCI Ethernet NIC (dwIrq = 0, dwIoBase = 0, dwDfltType = 1) ...

InitKitlNIC: skipping unknown PCI Ethernet NIC: (subclass=0, Vendor=8086, Device=1502)

InitKitlNIC: skipping unknown PCI Ethernet NIC: (subclass=0, Vendor=8086, Device=1510)

InitKitlNIC: skipping unknown PCI Ethernet NIC: (subclass=0, Vendor=8086, Device=150E)

InitKitlNIC: Found PCI Ethernet NIC (type = 1, IRQ=10, IOBase=0xC2600000).

Using a KITL device on the PCI bus, not a legacy device.

DeviceId................. CEPC

pArgs->flags............. 0x2D

pArgs->devLoc.IfcType.... 5

pArgs->devLoc.LogicalLoc. 0x1900

pArgs->devLoc.PhysicalLoc 0x0

pArgs->devLoc.Pin........ 10

pArgs->ip4address........ 0.0.0.0

pDevice->Name............ CEPC

pDevice->ifcType......... 5

pDevice->id.............. 0x15028086

pDevice->resource........ 0

pDevice->type............ 2

pDevice->pDriver......... 0x84BC4048

g_kitlLock = 0x84BE98C0

EDBG:NE2000Init:HWInit failed to read cmd reg

ERROR: KITL call to pfnInit failed

OEMKitlInit failed - trying again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need to debug what is the possible cause of this failure? It would be great if I could debug it over serial port.

Is it possible to hook at this point?

What are the changes I need to make in my BSP to set serial port COM1 as the kitl transport?

I did explore on sources, and I see that kitl transport is chosen from boot args. But where can I edit boot args?

Please advice.

Thanks,

Madhusudan

Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:59 AM

All replies

• g_kitlLock = 0x84BE98C0

EDBG:NE2000Init:HWInit failed to read cmd reg

ERROR: KITL call to pfnInit failed

OEMKitlInit failed - trying again.

These two message provide the initial clue to investigate.
    Is your KITL NIC NE2000 compatible? If no, you may need to get a KTIL driver for your NIC.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:29 PM
  • I have Intel 82580 Ethernet controller. How do I know if it is NE2000 compatible?
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:08 AM
  • Hi,

You have to compare the Technical Reference Manual's of 82580 and NE2000 controllers.

Regards,

GSR

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:34 AM
  • Although I haven't seen the manual of i82580 but it is almost for sure that NOT NE2000 compatible.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:27 PM
  • I have Intel 82580 Ethernet controller. How do I know if it is NE2000 compatible?

There may be a couple of options for you. One is to try old fashioned KITL over serial port. Another one would be to look at Intel web site to see if they have Windows CE driver for their network controller with KITL support. You will have to rebuild your nk.bin though if you choose any of these.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:47 AM
  • Hi,

This is for those who are still getting this error:

I was also getting the same error while trying to boot locally using USB with NK.bin. However, the Ethernet Boot was working well but the local boot was giving this error.

This small workaround fixed the problem for me:

Go to Project->Properties->Configuration Properties->Build Options

In the "Enable KITL", select No(IMGNOKITL=1).

And then it started working well. I haven't tested EBOOT after this. Will update what I observe.

Thanks!

Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:02 AM