none
Can't save the newest version of file if using http RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Hi,

My program (ASP.Net 2.0) is just open an excel file and update the data then will display a link like <a href="..../abc.xls"> for users to download.

But everytime they just get the pervious file version, the new data not show in the downloaded excel file.

However, if user right click the link and then download by "save target as", they can get the correct version.

So, I am sure that the file is updated but just don't know why can't get the correct version if just click the link.

Anybody can help me this problem?

Thanks a lot

Wallace

Thursday, December 6, 2007 8:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• That is Microsoft default design to use Excel as an application in Asp.net you need to pay for SharePoint Excel services, there are third party companies that provide Office writers that can give you write enabled Excel Cells.  The Save as works because that is like simple Document management not running live Excel in your application.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 4:43 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

My case is that, the web server can save the new data in the excel file with no problem.

The problem is user can only get the correct version if they download the file by "save target as" but not just click the link then save.

I wonder if there is any caching or something like that still keep the old version? OR any other reason why can't get the newest version?

my web server is win2k3 .net framework2.0 and asp.net 2.0

my users are winxp or vista with IE6 or 7

Thanks very much

Friday, December 7, 2007 12:43 AM
  • I have told you Microsoft only want you to interact with Excel in Sharepoint Excel services, for all others you need third party tools.  You are getting expected behavior.

Friday, December 7, 2007 1:33 AM
  •  

Well, Thanks.

It's really pity and strange ... save file and download actually is just a simple process...

May be it's time to take a look that whether  excel service can do the right thing for me.

Friday, December 7, 2007 1:41 AM
  • A while back a user told me Aspose Excel cells are free I don't know the details but check out their forums you may get what you need.

http://www.aspose.com/Community/Forums/

Friday, December 7, 2007 1:49 AM
  • OK, thanks.

I just found the problem not appear in firefox !!!!!

HA.. then now I am finding what's wrong with IE.

Friday, December 7, 2007 1:56 AM
  • I told you it is Microsoft not IE specific just ask your user to use firefox with Excel.

Friday, December 7, 2007 2:02 AM