Site on UNC Physical Path Authentication RRS feed

• Question

• User-76435249 posted

I try to create a site that can access the network drive via UNC path. When I run the site locally on server 127.0.0.1:84 it works and gets a list of folders in the browser. When trying to get site on client machine then get HTTP Error 401.3 - Unauthorized. I'm using Windows Authentication (I've tried both providers: NTLM, Negottiate)

Please help me to solve this.

Config screen:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Avce3L_wF6pb4VkM3SXK9dPX5G66?e=fA2pYX

Wednesday, March 3, 2021 3:19 PM

All replies

• User1065476709 posted

Hi marcin44,

I try to create a site that can access the network drive via UNC path. When I run the site locally on server 127.0.0.1:84 it works and gets a list of folders in the browser. When trying to get site on client machine then get HTTP Error 401.3 - Unauthorized. I'm using Windows Authentication (I've tried both providers: NTLM, Negottiate)

First please check if your anonymous authentication is disabled, if not, please disable it, second make sure your login account on the pc is a member in the domain and IE has the Automatic Logon for Intranet sites is enabled in the correct security zone, at last  Make sure the application pool account has permissions to the remote content. If you are using network service, it's the machine account. Try running the application pool as a domain user vs. network service. 

Best regards,

Sam

Thursday, March 4, 2021 3:01 AM
  • User-76435249 posted

Thank you for your answer.

I verified the points that you wrote about:

• Anonymous authentication is disabled
    • My login account on the pc is a member in the domain account and has permissions to remote content
    • Application pool work on domain account  and has permissions to the remote content

"IE has the Automatic Logon for Intranet sites is enabled?" 

Is that necessary ? I assume that without this option IE will ask me for credentials but after entering them it should work. I suspect the problem is "double hop authentication". It doesn't work and is probably required for UNC paths... Any ideas ?

Thursday, March 4, 2021 8:39 AM
  • User1065476709 posted

Hi marcin44,

"IE has the Automatic Logon for Intranet sites is enabled?" 

Is that necessary ? I assume that without this option IE will ask me for credentials but after entering them it should work. I suspect the problem is "double hop authentication". It doesn't work and is probably required for UNC paths... Any ideas ?

I think this is not double hop authentication, When you need authenticate a user on a web server and then re-use and pass credentials from the web server to another server, that is the double hop authentication.

You can try to use failed request tracking to get detailed information about the error.

Best regards,

Sam

Friday, March 5, 2021 9:07 AM