none
workflows behind the services RRS feed

• Question

•  

we have a project that we claim to be a wcf based soa implementation.. Behind the services, business Objects (BO) and workflows libraries are placed. Services do their job thru business objects or workflows which also uses BO's.  

At presentation side, asp.net pages and UIP application block together, do the presentation and navigation jobs in a kind of MVC principle.

the question,

Workflows are behind the services.. and page flows are in the web.config (uip navigation) at presentation.  same processes are in both service and client side. and beside the navigation logic some rules related to the processes are required around the pages.  I started to doubt whether I should benefit from my workflows and the rules behind the services, in my presentation implementation. and maybe some additional rules related to presentation requirements may be put in workflow libraries. Even more I can put some authorization stuff into my user activities to use from presentation. (if I dont use it during presentation It seems enough for them (authorization) to be at the service boundries because workflows can only be invoked thru services)   

So I should reference my workflow libraries or maybe use only xoml files in my presentation project somehow..  maybe like type sharing approach.  obviously I need to gather my thoughts abt this : ).  just wanted to share and have some advices if available? 

best regards.

Friday, July 25, 2008 4:57 PM

Answers

• Take a look at the enterprise architecture I published at http://gajakannan.com/netarch.aspx , where I have explained how the workflows, business services, entities and presentation services are separated out.  You can very well use workflow services at the presentation layer, especially when your application is a composite application (as in your case looks like it).  I would not go far like puting authorization as user activites.  I would use claims based authorization for WCF published at http://www.theserverside.net/tt/articles/showarticle.tss?id=ClaimsBasedSecurityModel

The question becomes where would you host the presentation layer related workflow service.  If I were you, I would have a separate instance of workflow hosting service that manages only the presentation layer related workflow and keep it separate from business layer...  There is no rule on how you want to slice and dice a n-tier application.  Each solution is unique based on the requirements and problem statement.

Hope this helps.

Monday, August 4, 2008 1:09 PM