none
azure SQL Reporting pricing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

"SQL Reporting" on azure was released recently and the pricing working out at about $600 per month per reporting instance. It is hard to understand why its priced so high?

If you want to use reporting services in your asp.net apps then how can you do this on azure? Use the reportviewer control in local processing mode?

Thanks

Monday, June 11, 2012 7:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi niallhannon,

Thanks for your post!

Microsoft Windows Azure SQL Reporting is a cloud-based reporting service for the Windows Azure Platform built on SQL Server Reporting Services technologies. SQL Reporting provides many benefits, including rapid provisioning, cost-effective scalability, high availability, reduced management overhead and secure access for viewing and managing reports. SQL Reporting also offers several capabilities.

For more information, please see:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/gg430130.aspx

Using Windows Azure SQL Reporting in ASP.net, please see :
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlazure/archive/2010/08/17/10051010.aspx

Best Regards,
    Iric
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:19 AM
  • Wednesday, June 13, 2012 9:29 PM
  • Niall,

I have to agree. I think Microsoft (MS) have made are real error in their pricing model here. If you have a web site that allows users to run reports on demand you are looking at cost of over $630 a month. I can host the app in in Small Web Role + a small SQL Azure database for less that $100. Why should it cost six times as much just to generate reports?

If MS don't change this pricing model I will be forced to host the report server elsewhere to use an alternate reporting tool.

Cheers

Friday, June 15, 2012 11:35 AM
  • Also refer the pricing considerations, and how this is considered for billing here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/jj156044 <Accounts and Billing in Windows Azure SQL Reporting (Windows Azure SQL Reporting)>.

Thanks

Chaitanya( Twitter | Blogs )

Any documentation bug? Tell us about it at Connect. Please feel free to add any community comments in any of the MSDN/technet articles.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:32 AM
  • We are actively working on a new pricing model for Windows Azure SQL reporting that will better serve customers who have lower volume reporting needs. We expect to publish information on the new pricing model in the next couple weeks.  We wish to thank all of the users who provided feedback about this topic.  We’re working to address your feedback.

Evan

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:47 AM
  • I would echo the previous posters . . . this pricing model is nuts.

One of the big pluses of Azure could have been very fast provisioning of micro-developments to respond to specific business needs right now.   Part of doing that is to provision a reports server quickly, even knowing it won't get used very much (like, hardly at all).

The pricing model for Azure SQL Database is brilliant . . . I can create a little SQL Database and upload it via SSDT the same day.  (Haven't got a good fast solution for online data entry yet, though, any ideas?)

But the Reporting guys have gone squirrely!  The pricing model of $/provisioned hour kills the whole concept of Azure SQL Reporting from little systems stone-dead.

It’s not the price that’s the problem . . . it’s the model itself which is bad.  The Microsoft guy (Evan Basalik) said that there would be a new pricing model . . . but there isn’t.  It’s simply changing the numbers but keeping the model intact.  And that’s the root of the problem.

Cheers,
    Donna

Donna Kelly

• Edited by Lady Donna Thursday, December 27, 2012 11:42 AM
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 11:28 AM