Login failed for user 'sa' RRS feed

• Question

• In an installation program I have successfully installed a Sql Server Express instance.

I add a login to this instance, logging in as 'sa' on 'master', no problems

I mount a database on this instance logging in as 'sa' on 'master', no problems

I try to add a Sql Server 'user', logging in as 'sa' on the database I just successfully mounted. This works fine almost always, but at a few occasions we get an error: Login failed for user 'sa'

Can anyone tell me why this fails ? Why cant 'sa' login ??

When I make a new try, it works!

I have looked at Sql Server logs, and just after mounting a fulltext indexing is started.

Can this have something to do with it??

Grateful for all hints

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 3:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please be advised that Azure is Microsoft's public cloud offering, whereas Azure Stack is Microsoft's private cloud solution, which as of now is in Technical preview 1.
    From the post above and the Forum Query in SQL Forum we see that this query is not related to Azure Stack.

Hence, we would be closing this Forum Thread.
    You could contact us if you need assistance in future and we'd be glad to help.

Regards,
    Malar.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 6:17 AM

All replies

• Is this related to Azure Stack somehow?  If not, you would most likely find more SQL Server Express experts in a SQL Server Express forum, such as the one located at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=sqlexpress

. : | : . : | : . tim

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 9:56 PM
  • Tuesday, March 15, 2016 10:03 PM
  • 1. You shouldn't using SA, sorry have to say it :)

2. It's probably getting blocked for a brief period of time

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 10:34 PM
  • OK, if not use SA, which user shall I use?

The reason I login with SA is to create a Sql Server user.

SA works fine in 99.9% of all cases, what circumstances is it that makes it fail about 0.1 % of all case?

When the login failure occurs, the installation waits one second and make a new attempt, that also fails.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 9:31 AM
  • I have added the same question on:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e1473bea-e145-4cea-80ae-66df9aa9c88b/login-failed-for-user-sa?forum=sqlexpress

according to Tim: reply above

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 12:12 PM
  • Hi,

Please be advised that Azure is Microsoft's public cloud offering, whereas Azure Stack is Microsoft's private cloud solution, which as of now is in Technical preview 1.
    From the post above and the Forum Query in SQL Forum we see that this query is not related to Azure Stack.

Hence, we would be closing this Forum Thread.
    You could contact us if you need assistance in future and we'd be glad to help.

Regards,
    Malar.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 6:17 AM