ASP.net mobile RRS feed

• Question

• User-830131302 posted

hi guys i have a question

i need to develop a app that must work and look good on both a mobile device, PDA, Blackberry, nokia, and a normal web browser, as the client needs, to view information on the move, and at his office ect.

Now how do i approach this, do i need 2 interfaces, one for mobile and one for web, ?

I do not have any experience in  Mobile

All information will be greatly apprichated.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 12:34 PM

Answers

• User214117797 posted

it is just the interfaces i need to so, but i kan keep the same backend, like the sql statements, c# code behind,

All your data access and business logic can remain the same, it is only the GUI that matters, so take note of rendering formats etc 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 8:21 AM

All replies

• User214117797 posted

Now how do i approach this, do i need 2 interfaces, one for mobile and one for web, ?

It most cases, it may be best to have 2 separate sites.

To develop a rich featured web application that also supports mobile web application is very hard as there are so many compatibility issues between differing mobile devices. 

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 4:37 PM
  • User-830131302 posted

you cant be serios, so if i have grid viw, searches, ect i have to to them twice.

there is not a way that asp can detect a mobile and adjust the scrren sizes automaitcy. i think most of my devices will be pada, and phones that have html support, just the screen sizes are a problem. as i dont whant my users to scrole, all over the place.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 3:11 AM
  • User214117797 posted

you cant be serios, so if i have grid viw, searches, ect i have to to them twice.

Most likely, and I am very serious.

If you use gridviews paging and sorting abilities etc it uses client side scripting and not all handsets support client side scripting.

there is not a way that asp can detect a mobile and adjust the scrren sizes automaitcy. i think most of my devices will be pada, and phones that have html support, just the screen sizes are a problem. as i dont whant my users to scrole, all over the place.

Screen size is the last of your problems. You will get rendering issues, layout issues, issues with client side scripting, colours, a myriad of problems if you try to target a normal website for mobile devices.

Most web sites if you look carefully have a mobile version for various reasons

1. handsets do not support all the rich features

2. mobile handsets have low resolution so you would specifically design pages that have less information and less images etc 

Thursday, February 28, 2008 4:34 AM
  • User-830131302 posted
    Great, thanks for your help, is but, it is just the interfaces i need to so, but i kan keep the same backend, like the sql statements, c# code behind, as my normal webpage
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 5:51 AM
  • User214117797 posted

it is just the interfaces i need to so, but i kan keep the same backend, like the sql statements, c# code behind,

All your data access and business logic can remain the same, it is only the GUI that matters, so take note of rendering formats etc 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 8:21 AM