none
Mounting Azure File Service as mapped drive, to on premise Windows 10 Pro host?

Question

• I am relatively new to Azure so apologies if this is a very basic question.

I have an on-premise Windows 10 Professional host, that I want to map an Azure File services share onto, in order for the mapped drive to act as a low-cost offsite backup volume.   

I have created the storage account, and the file share through the Azure portal.   If there a way (non-Powershell if possible) to mount the file share to my Windows 10 Professional host?   If not, what are the PowerShell directions in order to map the drive to my local host, in order for it to appear as a mapped drive?

Also, once mounted, does the file share appear as an NTFS volume?  FAT32?  Something else?

Saturday, June 25, 2016 6:15 AM

All replies

• Hi there,

You can use any SMB 3.0 client access the file shares.

These are the instructions for on-premises clients:

• Install a version of Windows which supports SMB 3.0. Windows will leverage SMB 3.0 encryption to securely transfer data between your on-premises client and the Azure file share in the cloud.
    • Open Internet access for port 445 (TCP Outbound) in your local network, as is required by the SMB protocol.

Coming from this link:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-dotnet-how-to-use-files/

Please mark answered question as anwered to let others know about it.

Saturday, June 25, 2016 9:50 AM
  • Yes, that is the site I've been following but I am still unable to get my Azure File service share mounted on my Windows 10 Pro host.   There is no firewall blocking at my host, nor outbound through my firewall.

The error I receive when attempting the 'net use' command is:

System error 67 has occurred.

The network name cannot be found.

The command I am using is:
    net use [drive letter] \\<myazurestorageaccount>.file.core.windows.net\backups /u:<myazurestorageaccount> <mystorageaccountkey>

How can I test that TCP 445 Outbound isn't being blocked between my on-premise host and the Azure cloud server?

Monday, June 27, 2016 10:45 PM