Visual Studio 2005 Windows Installer Custom Actions RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of deploying a project using Visual Studio's Windows Installer but would like to check software activation keys before doing the install. I've looked at custom actions but they are executed after the installation. Is there a way to to this ?

Regards

Friday, October 20, 2006 2:42 PM

Answers

• A launcher is just an app you write that calls the web service then launches the MSI.
    Monday, October 23, 2006 2:42 PM

All replies

• Does one of the Search Target Machine options work? If there is a registry item then you could use that.
    Friday, October 20, 2006 8:19 PM
  • That Wouldn't work, I want to use a Web Service prior to doing the actual install of any files.

Regards

Friday, October 20, 2006 11:31 PM
  • If you want to do this before the install I would do the checking with a launcher process that calls the web service and then launches the MSI. The launcher can create a value in the registry that the setup project can check with a launch condition. Either that, or forget about a pre-install check - let the setup work and have the application itself check that it's ok to run. For example, that's the only practical way to do it if you want to allow someone to use your app for a trial period. It's always the best policy to have the setup just do the basic install and have extra stuff in a launcher or in the app itself.
    Sunday, October 22, 2006 6:06 PM
  • Not sure what you mean by a "Launcher Process" ?

Regards

Monday, October 23, 2006 1:57 AM
  • A launcher is just an app you write that calls the web service then launches the MSI.
    Monday, October 23, 2006 2:42 PM
  • Thanks.....

Sometimes I think if I had a brain I'd play with it.

Regards

Monday, October 23, 2006 5:03 PM