Enterprise Library: Convenience vs. Performance? RRS feed

• Question

• User989830952 posted

Hi there,

I was wondering whether someone who is well informed on Enterprise Library could tell me (and everyone else) whether the convenience which the Enterprise Library provides comes at the cost of application performance?

It just seems to me that there is a lot of work going on in the background e.g when using the DAAB to figure out which Data Providers to use, parameters types, etc. which would seem to be taking up resources on the server and perhaps slowing down the application (in the case of a web app).

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Luke.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 5:17 AM

Answers

• User-1355649840 posted

It really depends on your needs. If you are writing a quick-and-dirty web application, then maybe straight ADO.NET code would serve your needs better (or even SqlHelper). But if you need database, logging, caching, encryption or some combination of those, then the Enterprise Library makes more sense. The library is, after all, designed for enterprise-class applications, not just for convenience. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 10:27 PM
  • User989830952 posted

Thanks for your response Triax.

I understand what your saying...i guess i should explain my situation and then perhaps people in the know could give me their opinion as to whether they think it might be worth using EntLib, SqlHelper or just ADO.Net functions?

I am building an online shop for my client. The rest of the their site has already been built and is managed via a CMS. I am building the shop as a stand-alone website that uses the same styles, graphics, presentation as the existing site and is simply hyperlinked to from the existing site. I am integrating the shop into an existing database infrastructure in which product, user and order information is stored.

I am building my own payment system which interfaces with Barclays ClearCommerce API to handle payments/verfiication/fraud protection - so security within the shop is very import. Hence I could see some potential for the Cryptography and Security Application Blocks.

Obviously, this site will be data driven in order to display products, store shopping carts, user details etc. Therefore the Data Access Application Block will most definitely be useful.

The other things that I could see my self using is perhaps the Exception Handling Application and perhaps the Caching Application Block. However, I know very little about these blocks and I have only four weeks to complete the project. So i'm not sure if there is value in investing the time to learn about the benefits/drawbacks of the use of EntLib and these components.

I am confident in the use of SqlHelper as it seems quite simple to use. 

So i hope i have made my case as to why i would really appreciate some professional advise regarding whether i should use EntLib,  SqlHelper or  just built-in, as is .Net functions.

It would be great to get as many opinions on this as possible.

Many thanks in advance.

Luke.

Thursday, August 2, 2007 4:42 AM

All replies

• User-1355649840 posted

It really depends on your needs. If you are writing a quick-and-dirty web application, then maybe straight ADO.NET code would serve your needs better (or even SqlHelper). But if you need database, logging, caching, encryption or some combination of those, then the Enterprise Library makes more sense. The library is, after all, designed for enterprise-class applications, not just for convenience. 

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 10:27 PM
  • User989830952 posted

Thanks for your response Triax.

I understand what your saying...i guess i should explain my situation and then perhaps people in the know could give me their opinion as to whether they think it might be worth using EntLib, SqlHelper or just ADO.Net functions?

I am building an online shop for my client. The rest of the their site has already been built and is managed via a CMS. I am building the shop as a stand-alone website that uses the same styles, graphics, presentation as the existing site and is simply hyperlinked to from the existing site. I am integrating the shop into an existing database infrastructure in which product, user and order information is stored.

I am building my own payment system which interfaces with Barclays ClearCommerce API to handle payments/verfiication/fraud protection - so security within the shop is very import. Hence I could see some potential for the Cryptography and Security Application Blocks.

Obviously, this site will be data driven in order to display products, store shopping carts, user details etc. Therefore the Data Access Application Block will most definitely be useful.

The other things that I could see my self using is perhaps the Exception Handling Application and perhaps the Caching Application Block. However, I know very little about these blocks and I have only four weeks to complete the project. So i'm not sure if there is value in investing the time to learn about the benefits/drawbacks of the use of EntLib and these components.

I am confident in the use of SqlHelper as it seems quite simple to use. 

So i hope i have made my case as to why i would really appreciate some professional advise regarding whether i should use EntLib,  SqlHelper or  just built-in, as is .Net functions.

It would be great to get as many opinions on this as possible.

Many thanks in advance.

Luke.

Thursday, August 2, 2007 4:42 AM
  • User-316550455 posted

Very interesting post, I too would like to hear the comments of some of the experts here.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 2:58 AM
  • User1818464632 posted

It would be good to know for sure.

Frankly, i am a bit dissapointed with the enterprise library. It seems its rather fragile and incomplete. Come on MS, can't you throw a little bit more money at this?

- the documentation is very poor and scarse
    - the email trace listener in loggin app block does not even support authentication
    - configuration tool in Library 3.1 can't open a config file created with lib 2.0
    - data access block dies with a 'null parameter exception' when defaultDB is not specified in the config rathern then give you a meaningful message

it goes on...

I think you are better off ripping some useful code out of the library and just using that... that's what i did when app blocks were first being created; I recently tried making use of the logging block and abondonded this effort.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 11:04 AM