none
MSDN .iso files - will they work with Volume License keys? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We're an MSDN Subscriber, and we're also a member of the Microsoft (OVL) volume license programme.  My question is, can we apply our volume licences to binaries that are downloaded from MSDN?

I've seen no evidence to the contrary.  We've just deployed a field of laptops based on the MSDN licence and wish to ensure that those products are correctly licenced?

James

Friday, March 28, 2014 5:24 PM

Answers

• Ah yes... well it turns the Enterprise edition isn't built in a retail version.  Since Enterprise really targets enterprise organizations through the volume license channel, Windows only builds a VL version for Enterprise.

Sounds like you're on the right track!

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support <br/> Read the Subscriptions <a href="http://blogs.msdn.com/msdnsubscriptions">Blog! </a>

Monday, March 31, 2014 7:41 PM

All replies

• James,

Certain ISOs available from MSDN accept VL keys.  These files typically have "VL" in the title.

Example: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/securedownloads/hh442898#FileId=55529

But more broadly, I think you're mixing up concepts of licensing and product keys and deployments, so lets run through that real quick to make sure I'm understanding you.

First, MSDN is licensed per-user, and for development/test/etc. purposes only.  To apply that to your scenario, MSDN licenses your activity if: all users of the laptops (including yourself) have their own MSDN Subscription, all activity using the MSDN software on those laptops falls in to the MSDN purposes.

But, the story continues.  It sounds like you've licensed production use for these machines through your Volume License agreement, and what, then, you're looking to do is use these laptops for actual production business work, and you're only using the ISO you obtained from MSDN to aid your installation. 

Linked from here, the MSDN Licensing white paper includes this section:

Using Software Sourced from MSDN but Licensed Under a ProductionLicense

Often, it is more expedient to deploy a server running a fully-tested application directly into production. Normal licenses must be acquired for this use (such as a Windows Server license and Client Access Licenses) because the MSDN license is per user and is generally limited to development and testing. However, the installed software and the product key used to activate that software, where applicable, can be from MSDN, even though the licenses to use that software in production must be acquired separately from MSDN.

and given your question its quite possible that this covers you, but the statement "based on the MSDN license" from you gives me a bit of pause.

Let me know what you think

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support <br/> Read the Subscriptions <a href="http://blogs.msdn.com/msdnsubscriptions">Blog! </a>

Friday, March 28, 2014 5:44 PM
  • Thanks Mike,

To clarify, we are using the ISO from MSDN just to aid this installation and intend to apply Open Volume Licence keys to them.  What we're double checking is that we're not likely to run into any issues doing that.

In particular we are running Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 .iso, which doesn't have the VL in the filename.  
    It seems there are none up there.

Grateful for your thoughts

James

Friday, March 28, 2014 6:16 PM
  • Ah yes... well it turns the Enterprise edition isn't built in a retail version.  Since Enterprise really targets enterprise organizations through the volume license channel, Windows only builds a VL version for Enterprise.

Sounds like you're on the right track!

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, March 31, 2014 7:41 PM