Migrating a legacy VC6 application to Windows Store application

Question

• Hi,

I have a legacy VC6 application. It is developed purely in C++ and MFC.

I need to run this on Windows RT tablet.What should I do?

Is it possible to migrate the old application to Windows Store application?

Also, what are the system specifications and tools required to develop the Windows Store application?

Thursday, March 05, 2015 8:48 AM

Answers

• You will have to rewrite at least the UI portion of your application. Further changes depend on what system functionality you are using. The more of your code is dealing with system calls the more changes will be necessary.

So basically you will likely be able to reuse parts of the code implementing your business logic but everything dealing with file accesses or presentation will likely need to be reworked. There is no automated process to transform Applications from targeting Win32/MFC to WinRT.

As development tool I would suggest to use Visual Studio 2013 running on Windows 8.1.

Thursday, March 05, 2015 12:12 PM

All replies

• You will have to rewrite at least the UI portion of your application. Further changes depend on what system functionality you are using. The more of your code is dealing with system calls the more changes will be necessary.

So basically you will likely be able to reuse parts of the code implementing your business logic but everything dealing with file accesses or presentation will likely need to be reworked. There is no automated process to transform Applications from targeting Win32/MFC to WinRT.

As development tool I would suggest to use Visual Studio 2013 running on Windows 8.1.

Thursday, March 05, 2015 12:12 PM
  • You will need a copy of Visual Studio 2013 to write the application for Windows Store running on Windows 8.1.  There is no migration from MFC to a Windows Store app.  You will need to rewrite the UI layer, and most likely the business logic layer as well.  MFC serialization will also be an issue, so you will want to consider whether or not legacy data is needed in the new application.

JeffGWM

Saturday, March 21, 2015 11:32 AM
  • How aobut MFC for Windows 10 Universal App?

MFC is a framework like .Net it is very possible to port to Windows 10 as well as Android and iOS. 

Is MFC an Open Source today?

Sunday, March 22, 2015 1:58 AM
  • Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC) and Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) both continue to work for Windows desktop apps and are supported, but there is no support for those frameworks for Windows Store apps, Xbox One apps, Windows phone apps, or the universal Windows application platform on Windows 10.
    Sunday, March 22, 2015 7:32 PM