Visual C++ v120 compliler tool for visual studio 2015 rc ???? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am compiling a Windows Runtime Component (Universal App) Visual C++. Its giving me ERROR: "The build tools for v120 (Platform Toolset = 'v120') cannot be found". How I can install the required tools for successful compilation ?
    Monday, July 6, 2015 2:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Sunny Shukla,

>> But the Platform Toolset is only showing "v120 not installed", no other toolset.

Because you are compiling a Windows Runtime Component (Universal App) Visual C++. But Windows 8.1 & Windows phone 8.1 c++ projects can only use v120 toolsets (due to a number of breaking changes in v140). Windows 10 ones use v140.

Besides, v120_wp8.1 means windows phone 8.1, So I tested this issue on my machine, I created a windows phone 8.1 project on Visual Studio 2015 RC, you can see the following information, the Platform Toolset is v120_wp81:

So could you check whether you have installed Universal Windows App Development Tools and Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.0/8.1 Tools?

If not, please go to Control Panel, select the VS2015 RC, right click it, and then select the “Modify” to install them.

Best Regards,

Jiayi Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Sunny Shukla Thursday, July 9, 2015 1:13 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 9:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Sunny Shukla,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

Based on the error message, it seems that you are using visual studio 2015 to build the project. However platform toolset v120 is the Visual Studio 2013 Toolset. So I think the project may be created with visual studio 2013 or the project has ever built with visual studio 2013, then the project settings will use toolset v120 by default. Then when you open the project with VS2015, there is no toolset v120. So you will get the error message.

As far as I know, I will suggest that you can modify your project files to use the v140 Toolset instead through Project-> Properties -> General -> Platform Toolset.

Or use Visual Studio 2013 to build your project.

Best Regards,

Jiayi Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 3:07 AM
  • Hi Jiayi Li,

I tried this also before posting my question. But the Platform Toolset is only showing "v120 not installed", no other toolset. What should i do to make v140 toolset appear in Platform Toolset ?

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 6:03 AM
  • Hi Jiayi Li,

I tried this also before posting my question. But the Platform Toolset is only showing "v120 not installed", no other toolset. What should i do to make v140 toolset appear in Platform Toolset ?

One more thing its also telling me v120_wp8.1 not installed. Is am missing something ??

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 6:21 AM
  • Hi Sunny Shukla,

>> But the Platform Toolset is only showing "v120 not installed", no other toolset.

Because you are compiling a Windows Runtime Component (Universal App) Visual C++. But Windows 8.1 & Windows phone 8.1 c++ projects can only use v120 toolsets (due to a number of breaking changes in v140). Windows 10 ones use v140.

Besides, v120_wp8.1 means windows phone 8.1, So I tested this issue on my machine, I created a windows phone 8.1 project on Visual Studio 2015 RC, you can see the following information, the Platform Toolset is v120_wp81:

So could you check whether you have installed Universal Windows App Development Tools and Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.0/8.1 Tools?

If not, please go to Control Panel, select the VS2015 RC, right click it, and then select the “Modify” to install them.

Best Regards,

Jiayi Li

• Marked as answer by Sunny Shukla Thursday, July 9, 2015 1:13 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 9:39 AM
  • Hi Jiayi Li,

Ya surely i will check things and let you know. Thanks. Will get back to you on this shortly.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 10:49 AM
  • Hi Jiayi Li,

Ya surely i will check things and let you know. Thanks. Will get back to you on this shortly.

Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.0/8.1 Tools Not Installed in my Visual Studio installation....
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 10:55 AM
  • Hi Sunny Shukla,

Has your issue solved after installing the Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.0/8.1 Tools ?

Best Regards,

Jiayi Li

Thursday, July 9, 2015 7:55 AM
  • Yup. Thanks.

Thursday, July 9, 2015 1:13 PM